This is for JB or other Coonasses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rag1

Executive Chef
I saw your post on Ettoufaa (or however you spell that) made without a roux. I was on a run with the bike yesterday and had dinner at a Cajun restaurant that served me some ettoufaa that didn't have a roux base. What's up with that? The stuff I make out of coonass cook books calls for a roux which I like.
I'm confused again.

There is no single way to cook anything Cajun. It is up to you to make it how you prefer. There are many styles of Cajun cooking.

Damar12 said:
There is no single way to cook anything Cajun. It is up to you to make it how you prefer. There are many styles of Cajun cooking.
Amen!!!! ;)

Very best Gumbo which can be found around Foat Wuth do not have a roux. If a roux made stuff taste so good..they would not need Roux Poleece at the Gumbo contests. They there to make sure you using a roux. If roux's is so good how come they need cops to make sure your making and using one? Uh huh...no brainer huh?

bigwheel

Rag said:
I saw your post on Ettoufaa (or however you spell that) made without a roux. I was on a run with the bike yesterday and had dinner at a Cajun restaurant that served me some ettoufaa that didn't have a roux base. What's up with that? The stuff I make out of coonass cook books calls for a roux which I like.
I'm confused again.

Dat calls for a'blond roux.' Anything else sucks.

ronbeaux50 said:
Rag said:
I'm confused again.

Dat calls for a'blond roux.' Anything else sucks.

That makes sense !!!!!
Made A killer gumbo yesterday WITH ROUX. No roux means you have soup, not gumbo. I used 'left from comps' chicken and pulled pork, plus a bag of shrimp. Great use for leftover meat.

I had it both ways Blond roux & no roux.

I have about 15 cajun cook books most have multiple recipes for stuff,
Some have up to 5 different recipes for the same thing Etouffee also.
Some with roux some without, We make crawfish & shrimp stew down here with a med roux that taste the same as etouffee, I like a little varity or a change of taste. It would be like eating BBQ every day :shock: Did I say that ;)

Had some leftover tonight, and I have to say that the bbq meat contributes a smoked flavor that adds depth.
I'll have to try a blonde roux with something.

bigwheel said:
Very best Gumbo which can be found around Foat Wuth do not have a roux. If a roux made stuff taste so good..they would not need Roux Poleece at the Gumbo contests. They there to make sure you using a roux. If roux's is so good how come they need cops to make sure your making and using one? Uh huh...no brainer huh?

bigwheel

that says it all .

Or, Texans that moved to Louisiana and found out how to do it right.

The trick is to add just the right amount so it ain't too thick or too thin.

Well for transplanted yankees the first step it learning how to propably pronounce the viscosity thang...that be tic or tin. Works just like drilling mud. :LOL:

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom