Apple wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rag1

Executive Chef
Today I visited with an orchard owner whom I'll be hauling several tons of grapes from to my buddy's winery in a couple of weeks. The guy is ripping out apple trees and planting grape vines. We are talking 100's of acres. Consider he ships 2 tractor trailer loads of apples out of his cold storage every day from Sept to April. He has some trees.
I didn't say anything about the cut down trees to him just yet, but wow, here is a great source for some great wood.
I can use a little, but this gut will produce huge amounts.
Anybody interested?
The interesting thing is that the guy has problems getting "apple pickers" to where he'll be leaving fruit on the trees. He has a rented 'grape picker' to try out (price tag $200,000.00). It's 13' high and weighs 12 tons. I called it a great big Mexican. Converting to grapes from apples solves a big labor problem.

Man thats alot of good wood, I live in ct which is a bit to far...just imagining having a cord of that stacked up would be spectacular.

I might know of someone in the PA area tho looking for some good wood for smoking...should I have him sign up here and contact you via private message ?

Kevin

Well hate to hear the old boy has to change up his operation so drastically. If he played his cards right he could prob make as much off the apple wood as he make in a year or two of selling apples. Last chunks I bought was around 5 bucks for a small bag. Didnt even have any bark left on it...might as well have been using cardboard boxes for a flavoring agent. All the flavor of wood is in the bark ya know? Had a real smart bohunk splain that to me one time..and have found it to be universally true up to this point. Now some know of wood which gives good smoke without bark I would like to hear of it. Would suggest the fella spring for a good quality wood chipper..some bagging material and some labels. Make the rounds to all the mom n pop grocery stores and let them peddle it for him. Prob need to be fumigated...check with the health goons on that deal. Doubt they approve bugs crawling around in the stuff. Kindly keeps us posted. Hey..sell it on E-bay or Craig's List. I can see Farmer Brown having a bright future especially with a smart fella like yourself to help him out.

bigwheel

The same thing has been happening out here in Washington for a number of years. Apple orchards coming out and they are shipping apples in from out of the country.

Well aint checked lately but not too many years ago the powers that be decided the biggest money maker in Teja per acre was pee can trees (speaking legal stuff here of course:)...only thing is it take 10 years to get in the black. Which I could see some drawbacks to that plan for old folks.

bigwheel

Thats a lot of wood.

Now just a thought would it have been sprayed numerous times over the orchards life with pesticides> ? Not sure if I would want to use it then.

Diva Q said:
Thats a lot of wood.

Now just a thought would it have been sprayed numerous times over the orchards life with pesticides> ? Not sure if I would want to use it then.

Spray ain't no problem....rain washes it off very quickly.

Diva Q said:
Thats a lot of wood.

The sprays used on fruit trees has to dissipate or the fruit would not be usable.

jminion said:
Diva Q said:
Thats a lot of wood.

The sprays used on fruit trees has to dissipate or the fruit would not be usable.

Thanks for the explanation.

Nick Prochilo said:
Rag said:
Adrienne said:
www.organicconsumers.org/organic/pesticide-residues.cfm[/url]

They have an agenda. Salt and pepper scares that crowd.[/quote:282q0jzp]

Thats the same thing I thought so I didn't even read the crap from the website.[/quote:282q0jzp]

You likely ask for a side of high fructose corn syrup with your pancakes.

Adrienne said:
Nick Prochilo said:
Rag said:
Adrienne said:

Thats the same thing I thought so I didn't even read the crap from the website.[/quote:nrnm22ix]

You likely ask for a side of high fructose corn syrup with your pancakes.[/quote:nrnm22ix]

As a matter of fact..........................

Back
Top Bottom