Future WSM owner!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just ordered a WSM from Amazon. Finally after months of tryin to figure out what to get I broke down and ordered one. Cant wait to get smokin on this thing. Any one got tips for it? Ill be smokin here on base every sunday for the games. :D

The WSM is very simple to use...very efficient...and makes great BBQ. I Use the Minion Method for the heat. Fill the ring full of unlit charcoal then place about 12 or 15 lit briquettes around the unlit charcoal with a few chunks of wood. Leave the vents open until about 195 to 200 degrees then close the vents. The temperature will rise and then barely open a vent or two to regulate the temperature. I only have to open the vent about the width of a nickel or so.

Good Luck.

I'm sure other will give some great advice.

I believe Captain Morgan will be fitting you for your Smoking Jacket once Hanna goes away.

Congratulations. You will love it.

img_164389_0_5c7c759b2069bbaa648a6abd184f9026.gif

What they all said. I suggest you get yourself a 7- or 8-lb bone-in pork butt, rub it with something that sounds good to you -- Wolfe Rub has a lot of fans here -- and start the WSM using the Minion Method, as described, as early in the morning as you want to get up, and settle in for 12-15 hours of checking it every now and then. You may have a little trouble at first figuring how much to close or open the vents, but butts are wonderfully forgiving. Try to keep it in the 230-250 range at the top vent (with one of those simple "Warning Hot" Weber thermometers), but don't panic if it spikes on you a time or two. The butt is done when you tug on the bone and it almost wants to come free. :D

--John
(You and everyone else who gets some will love your pulled pork. By your second or third cook, you'll be feeling pretty confident about what you can do.)

309815_sm.jpg

No one tell Greg I didn't use the link...ok?

Yeah, use that link to amazon... I did. They have a wish list feature... ;)

Well dang wished you had shecked with uncle bigwheel afore undertaking this WSM endeavor. I would have steered you over to an electrified Brinkmann Gourmet model from Academy Sports for 58 bucks. No need for Kingsfords and Gulflight to stink up that deal. Just throw some wood chunks on the lava rocks. Best bbq pit I ever owned without a doubt. I think you might can find an electric heating element which will fit that WSM but it prob cost mo than 58 bucks. Anybody who pretends that charcoal adds a good flavor to meat is fulla sheet. Now if somebody want to burn mesquite to coals and break out the shovel for some slow direct type cooking I am all in favor. I have been around too many bohunks and members of the minority co-moonity in my life. I know whut good bbq is supposed to taste like.

bigwheel

Well i figured every one and there brother has a WSM and they love em , so it must be a good deal. Im about to go get one of those weber chimney starters 10 bucks here on base, any old thermometer will work??

Back
Top Bottom