Pickled Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toby Keil

Executive Chef
I made some pickled eggs. Now they are in the fridge for a few weeks so I’ll let you all know how they turn out. Below is the recipe and I cut back on the sugar just a tad.

8 hard boiled eggs
1 1/2 cups vinegar
1 cup sugar
2 tsp salt
Dash of pepper

img_161361_0_0219e710e82b5962cb0fdedc2b515eac.jpg

Never had a pickled egg before! I guess I'll have to add that to my list. Thanks for sharing!

-Kyle

Pickled eggs, and pickled pig's feet, used to be staple items in the mom-and-pop grocery stores in western NC back in the '50s. I never thought about making them at home, though.
335650273_e95a0c4709.jpg

Toby keil said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":acvjt5ri]Where's the beets, pearl onions and picklilng spice??? Come on man! :LOL:

You have a recipe for me Larry? I'll need to get a bigger jar.[/quote:acvjt5ri]

I don't have an exact recipe, but here's how I make them.

Combine the following and bring to a boil and cool. Add ingredients to taste. Once cooled add 1 can of pickled beets with juice and 1 jar of pearl onions, drained. Add eggs to jar and then pour the pickling mix over to fill the jar. Let sit at least a week before eating.

Vinegar
Sugar
Salt
Pickling Spice (wrapped in cheese cloth)

All the Tap Rooms around Phila and the northeast had gallon jars of pickled eggs and pickled sausage right on the bar.
Now it's hard to find a decent bar since ferns were invented.

Was also a staple in Western NY bars in the late 70's ...Nothing like a few eggs, a pickled sausage and a few Genesee Cream Ale's to keep you cleaned out in the morning !!

john pen said:
Was also a staple in Western NY bars in the late 70's ...Nothing like a few eggs, a pickled sausage and a few Genesee Cream Ale's to keep you cleaned out in the morning !!

That made my colon throw up in my pants a little. Thanks.

ScottyDaQ said:
john pen said:

That made my colon throw up in my pants a little. Thanks.
After that mix it would..and melt the throne.

Back
Top Bottom