tomatoes are okay, not peppers ... yet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unity

Executive Chef
The Associated Press says:

The AP said:
WASHINGTON (AP) -- It's OK to eat all kinds of tomatoes again, the U.S. government declared Thursday - lifting its salmonella warning on the summer favorites amid signs that the record outbreak, while not over, may finally be slowing.

Hot peppers still get a caution: The people most at risk of salmonella - including the elderly and people with weak immune systems - should avoid fresh jalapenos and serranos, and any dishes that may contain them such as fresh salsa, federal health officials advised.

Investigators still don't know what caused the salmonella outbreak, which now has sickened 1,220 people in 42 states - the earliest falling ill on April 10 and the latest so far on July 4.

But Thursday's move, coming as the tomato industry estimates its losses at more than $100 million, doesn't mean that tomatoes harvested in the spring are cleared. It just means that the tomatoes in fields and stores today are safe to eat, said Dr. David Acheson, the Food and Drug Administration's food safety chief.
--John

There's a pickled tomato recipe that calls for jalapenos in Food & Wine this month.......If you don't hear from me by Tuesday, my WSM is up for grabs.

I dont know why everybody is so worried about that Salmanella stuff..all it do is give you the squirts for a few days...24 hrs if a person stick with clear liquids and dont eat anything (think vodky and sprite here). I dont think of many old timers with weakened immune systems who be eating raw hot peppas anyway. They eat mostly oatmeal and cream of wheat which is easy to chew...or maybe dont need chewing would be superior phraseology. Thats all my Grandma and Grandpa ate anyway.

bigwheel

I just made a pico de galio for the fajits with jap's & mators... I feel fine.
I think if you wash the outside of stuff with water or better vegetable wash spray, you'll be fine

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom