Killed lettuce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big dude

Sous Chef
Had some thunderstorms move thru a little while ago, dropped the temp from 90 to 70 and gave us some much needed rain. To the subject at hand, if you're from the southeast you likely know about killed lettuce- unless you're young or grew up in the city. It's a way of turning a potentially healthy meal into a real artery clogger. For the meal shown, crisp up about 3/4 pound of bacon and set aside. Put the lettuce on the platter and crumble the bacon on top and add some thinly sliced green onion. Into the hot bacon grease, add about 1 tsp sugar and enough vinegar to your taste, then scramble two eggs into the grease (some folks use chopped hard boiled eggs rather than the scrambled). When the eggs are done, pour the hot grease dressing over the lettuce to kill it (wilts it some). Good eats but definately not heart healthy.

Looks good but dangerous BD. I could only eat something like that when my wife's not around. She's pretty good about lettin me eat what I want but I think she would draw the line if she caught me using bacon grease as a salad dressing. :)

Toby keil said:
Looks good but dangerous BD. I could only eat something like that when my wife's not around. She's pretty good about lettin me eat what I want but I think she would draw the line if she caught me using bacon grease as a salad dressing. :)

You are right. The lettuce has been coming in for about 6 weeks and this is our first and likely only batch. I figure once or at most twice a year is ok - just took my Lipitor. :)

looks healthy to me...kind of like those taco salads I make with
a couple of pounds of ground beef and cheese with a shred of lettuce
on top.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom