Do you mop yo butt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did as directed from my advisors on BBQ Central....Pulled and inserted into large ziploc baggies with more RUB and moisten with APPLE JUICE... Came out magnificent... :D

I don't mop, but some do and like doing it. It's really a matter of taste and how much you want to fool with it while it's cooking. Try it without mopping one time and then mopping the next and see which way you prefer!

I tried mopping one time.
Then learned...if you're lookin'...you're not cookin' 8)

Puff said:
I tried mopping one time.
Then learned...if you're lookin'...you're not cookin' 8)

Kinda like 'when you're internet hatin', I'm really cooking......

I used to mop butts. I didn't like that "dry" look they seemed to go through, but I then realized that is just a "phase" they go through as they are getting done. I stopped bothering with it and didn't notice really any difference in the finished product.

IMO there is absolutely no need to mop a pork butt. In terms of moisture - if you cook it right you'll get all the moisture you'll need. In terms of taste - sure a mop will change the flavor but I tend to think that's what the smoke is for. If you want to have that much influence on the meat put it in an oven and baste it. Either way is good, of course.

My favorite butt combination is the Jamisons' "Renowned Mr. Brown" * ("Southern Succor") recipe, which is notoriously heavy on black and cayenne pepper (yumm), and the accompanying "Southern Sop" that adds vinegar and still more pepper to the unused rub.

Out of a sense of experimentation (and laziness) I've tried Mr. Brown without the mop. It's not as tasty. I've tried many other rubs, mopped and not, and so far nothing else measures up for me.

So I guess it's a question of what you're looking for and what does it for you. When I want pulled pork that really wows, I use the most flavorful recipe and I mop.

--John
(When I'm feeling lazy, like in 'just put it on the cooker and wait for it', WRB is my choice. Sometimes I use WRB and mop with Scott's. Not the same, but good.)

I'm with Monty, although I've never tried mopping.
Mopping, imho, is for whole hogs and perhaps briskets (which
I know nothing about)

Mopping a butt would likely disturb my rub and bark formation.
I can understand building layers of flavor, but on a butt, it's
getting pulled or chopped anyway.

That's where the sauce comes in.

Imho.

Points well taken...........Ive got a 6 pounder on there right now commin off at 9 or 10 tonight. im gonna try wrappin it in foil/applejuice/andbagit.com hahaa to many beers i guess. Ill try for some pics - but the butt i did yesterday wouldnt get done till i had to many beers. We'll see how this pans out. thanks for the help! db

Well, I wrapped it in foil and 2 towels and applejuice put it in the cooler to steam for about 2 - 3 hours. Passed out woke up and went to the garage to get the midnight snack! It was incredible! thanks.!

I might be in the minority, but I do mop. I let the butt cook for 6 hours to establish a good bark, them mop with a vinegar based mop every hour. I swear by it.

Back
Top Bottom