What to do about ribs ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
Got handed $60 and told to smoke ribs for tomorrow. Going to have a family gathering for some Q.

I figure I could smoke all spares but some of the family complained about the ribs being fatty last time I smoked them.

I could do all baby backs but 9 racks may not feed all the folks.

I am considering doing 6 bb's and three St Louis cut spares. I have some concerns about timing but I think I can work it out.

Any ideas ?

There will be a couple of chickens in the mix also for the non rib folks.

Wow, Cliff you're going to be a busy guy tomorrow. Try to get some pics for us. About the rib dilemma, I don't know, it's hard to go wrong when you go half bb and half spares. That way you get a good idea what they like. Have fun and happy Memorial Day.

Gotta go half and half I think...maybe mix in a pork butt or 2 for variety...that way no one can complain about the ribs?

If I put the spares on the bottom rack at 11:00, then put some bb's on the top rack, they will get done about the same time.

Anyone see an issue with adding uncooked ribs over the spares that will have been on for at least an hour ?

Cliff H. said:
If I put the spares on the bottom rack at 11:00, then put some bb's on the top rack, they will get done about the same time.

Anyone see an issue with adding uncooked ribs over the spares that will have been on for at least an hour ?

Not at all!

funny you guys are talking about this....I never buy
spares anymore, not in years....but last Saturday
I was in Sams and decided to grab a pack, just to make
sure I prefer BB's. They're on right now.

oh yeah, a spare rib is better than no rib at all.
I'd love to know what percentage of top 10 ribs in
a year's worth of comps are loin backs, but that
kind of info can't be found.

It probably varies by region. Most here in the Mideast and Midwest are using Spares in competition. Sounds like a good poll question.

I grew up on babybacks/loinbacks. Didn't really care for the spares. Thought they were too fatty. Problem was with me. Once I learned how to cook them and trim them (St. Louis Style) I now prefer spares but you won't see me turning down a good babyback either.

Kloset BBQR said:
It probably varies by region. Most here in the Mideast and Midwest are using Spares in competition. Sounds like a good poll question.

I grew up on babybacks/loinbacks. Didn't really care for the spares. Thought they were too fatty. Problem was with me. Once I learned how to cook them and trim them (St. Louis Style) I now prefer spares but you won't see me turning down a good babyback either.

true dat, maybe I just need to get better at cooking em.
We'll see today.....at home I'm ok with working
around the cartilage / fat stuff, but I 'm nervous about
turning them in at a comp....course I only enter one comp
with ribs as a category every year, so I'll just stick with loin backs
for that.

I spent a lot of the morning going back and forth between Sam's Club and a local grocery store.

Sams bb's were 3.29 per lb. Spares were 2.99 ICB brand.

Local grocery store had a heck of sale on spares at 1.38 per lb. BB's were 2.99 lb.

I tried to buy at Sam's but only walked away with two chicknes.

Ribs and chickens have been on since 12:00

One wsm and one uds loaded to the gills.

Back
Top Bottom