Chicken Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
I never cook white meat. Ever. I love thighs. But I'm filling in
for a cater for Jamie, the guy that had the stroke, and I've
got to serve chicken, and since women are half the group,
I've got to do white meat.

Bought some split breasts and some boneless breasts on sale.

My question is, what kind of time difference am I looking at
for the white meat? I'm gonna throw em all on the big
pit at around 350/400

Jim freeze the boneless skinless breasts and go get more of the split breasts. If you have time marinade in Zesty Italian dressing for several hours or overnight, if not don't worry about it but it will help with flavor and moisture.

Grill them at the temps you said until they have a nice char to them, then put them into a pan of BBQ that is already heated and wrap with foil and let them finished cooking in the sauce until they get to 165* then just keep them warm at a low low low simmer from there. The combination of the sauce and fat from the skin will help keep it moist, you just don't want to overcook them!

If you're concerned about the skin, I wouldn't. Just worry about the meat being moist and flavorful.

I'll have plenty of leeway anyway...the sauce method in Jumpin Jim's method is also a great way to hold chicken...so I'm gonna put the thighs
on first and just add the white meat a little later on...it'll be fine I'm sure.
Just don't want any major surprises, lol.

Kevin, I'm gonna use a sauce mixed with pineapple juice....I remember
you raving about that, maybe 10 years ago? Still do it that way? I don't
use that as my comp sauce, but at cookouts people here still love it!

Sports and Spirits said:
Will you lose any of the smoke flavor when using a barbecue sauce bath to finish and hold the chicken?

You won't lose any, but the sauce will certainly tone down the flavor....

It's hard to add to that vast amount of knowledge. But one suggestion would be to use the Smuckers pineapple sunday topping instead of the juice to get it more sweet. The Women will love it!

Just mix it in with the SBR and follow all of the other suggestions. Just stick it back on a little to set the glaze.

This may not work in your setting, but you could poach the breasts in water till JUST DONE and dunk in Q sauce. They will be super moist and tender with the flavor from the sauce.

Is the " drying out " effect from holding the white meat for an extended period of time or is it from cooking white meat period ?

Since I have discoved spatchcocked chicken, my method has been to smoke skin up for 1/2 the cook and skin down for the other 1/2. The breast meat is sandwiched between the skin on one side and the " swim cap " as BW calls it, on the other.

This method makes for breast meat that is as tender as thigh meat.

I do 1/2s most of the time direct over hump lump and two fist size chunks of apple. Hickory over powers the taste of chicken. (I think) Cherry is good too, but watch how much you use.

img_152344_1_544797fe25b5617f311414e8b6926603.jpg

There not dry at all! :D Check out the schmaltz. ;) You all know what schmaltz is right? :LOL:

From the pic that Pigs posted, I see the swim cap that I was refering to. If you have that when you finish the cook then the breast will be tender.

Back
Top Bottom