Moms day.. .scallops?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

007bond-jb

Master Chef
Pan seared in clarified butter is how I've done em, Pan sear temp can be anywhere from 355 to a screamin 750. The hotter the quicker they gonna cook.

so an a grill it don't matter, do em at 400ish & do brush the grates with oil just before ploping on the scallops

Place the scallops on paper towels and blot dry, most of the scallops you buy are processed and contain excess water and will steam on your grill if you do not dry them first. Season with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, then grill over a hot very CLEAN well OILED grill for 2 minutes per side rotating at 1 minute for crosshatches if you want them. Spritz with fresh lemon juice!

They realy just like grillin shrimp or fish that are the same thickness

Grilled scallops are great, go for it. I cook scallops (and will be today) in a skillet. I start with "dry scallops" which some seafood stores carry (more intense flavor but cost more) and saute in an iron skillet at high temp in butter. Fry just a few at a time to brown the outside without over cooking the interior. Doesn't take long...just in, sizzle a bit and out. Set aside and deglaze the pan with reduced fish stock, very fine minced onion and seasonings of choice. Add chinese sweet vinegar to taste. Cook it down to a syrup. Puddle on a plate, set scallops on top, sprinkle with minced parsley, bacon bits (real) and scant shredded cheese (sharp). 8)

Slightly rubbery is probably slightly overcooked, but I'm sure they were more than edible!

I've overcooked my share of scallops, and I've finally found my own foolproof method.

I have some flat, wide skewers made of stainless steel that I put the scallops on so the don't swivel on me. I designate one of the scallops a "chef's" scallop and make a single cut from the center of the scallop outward, kinda like you were making a single cut in a pie.

As the scallops cook, the cut opens up slightly and you can see the scallop turning colors from a translucent hue (uncooked) to a milky-white (cooked). Once the scallop has barely turned completely white, I pull those suckers off and plate :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom