BBQ Central

BBQ Central (http://www.bbq-4-u.com/forum/)
-   General Barbecue (http://www.bbq-4-u.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Time for a vacuum sealer (http://www.bbq-4-u.com/forum/f9/time-for-a-vacuum-sealer-12713.html)

Big Ron 05-10-2008 10:14 PM

Time for a vacuum sealer

I am in the market for a vacuum sealer, but not sure which one to get. Please advise and include links and/or photos and models numbers. Father's day is coming up soon. . . Thanks!

Green Hornet 05-10-2008 11:42 PM

I have a Foodsaver V2440 that I got at BJs about a year or so ago. It came with some canisters as well as the rolls of bags. I have been real happy with it. I have been using the generic rolls from Walmart cuz they are less expensive and seem to hold up well. I think I spent about $110 back then.
Hope that helps.

Cliff H. 05-11-2008 12:10 AM

Go with the most expensive FoodSaver brand you can afford. The heavier duty the better.

I have a V2480 that I am starting to have issues with after a year or so of service.

Greg Rempe 05-11-2008 05:18 AM

I have the same thing as GH...got mine at BJ'S as well. I tried the Black and Decker bags but the waffling doesn't go all the way across so I never got a complete seal. I use the regular FS bags and have never had a problem.

These things should be standard issue for all of us that bbq!!

Pigs On The Wing BBQ 05-11-2008 06:57 AM

I have a 2420 now and I can tell you it gets used. About a year old and it still keeps going. Now watch it crap out. :lol:

Big Ron 05-11-2008 09:14 AM

Foodsaver seems to be the go to sealer. Thanks for the input. About the bags, they are reusable?

Unity 05-11-2008 10:56 AM

Bags are reusable. I seldom do, 'cause I'm not sure they're free of bacteria after I've washed them.

I agree with the best-you-can-afford advice. When I wasn't sure how committed I was going to be to this hobby I bought a $60 FoodSaver Vac 800 (now superseded), which has like zero features. It works, but I sometimes have trouble with seals not holding. It's on my long list of things to replace someday. I'll definitely go with another FoodSaver.

--John
(Related word of caution: I label above the seal with a Sharpie. Sometimes when I cut off the top I forget and leave it in the sink. Sharpie ink will transfer to the sink if you leave it there. Not good for spousal relations. :shock: )

BchrisL 05-11-2008 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unity
I label above the seal with a Sharpie.

So do I, I pulled out a bag in the freezer the other day labeled Hunks 'O Ham, Christmas 2002. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Griff 05-11-2008 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BchrisL
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unity
I label above the seal with a Sharpie.

So do I, I pulled out a bag in the freezer the other day labeled Hunks 'O Ham, Christmas 2002. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So, how did it taste? :lol:

Unity 05-11-2008 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff
So, how did it taste? :lol:

I was thinking the same thing. :lol:

--John