1st post, questions on buying ribs, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
j-bo said:
Howdeeeeeee..1st post, be easy on me. :shock:

I don't have a meat market anywhere close, so it's store bought meat for me.

Here's my silly question.

Are there "good" ribs and "bad" ribs in the packages, and how do you tell what you are getting?

Can one ask the butcher in the grocery store meat area to cut ribs St. Louis style for you? I'm assuming this is the best way to make ribs. Baby backs seem to have too less of meat on them, is that right?

I tried some Sams Club loin back ribs (baby backs, right?) and they were okay, not great as it was my 1st time doing ribs.

Don't run me outta the forum, but I use a gas grill (just bought) and I did them with water pan and smoker box.

Thanks!

j-bo

Welcome to the forum j-bo! First off there are not any "silly questions"!! We all learn from eachother and if we don't ask questions we can't learn.

Yes there are bad ribs lurking in the meat department and they are anything called "Self Basting" or "Tender and Juicy" or the sodium content is over 200mg! These "meats" (not only with ribs) are "enhanced with broth and salt" and are not the ideal choice for BBQ'ing in my opinion. They are enhanced to help the normal home cook who is going to cook the meat to oblivian keep the meat somewhat moist. But when BBQ'ing these meats, most will come out with a very hammy flavor.

You want to look for "FRESH" meats, if you are unsure just read the label and the only thing that should be in the ingredients is the meat you are buying!!

You can request the butcher cut the ribs St. Louis style, but it is very simple and with a fairly sharp knife you should be able to do it yourself. HERE is a video and picture tutorial that will help you get started.

j-bo said:
Thanks for the info.

I just looked at our winn dixie ad.

It has pork spareribs at $1.49 then another section it has St. Louis style at $2.39.

So the only difference, is I'm paying the extra .90/lb for them to be cut?

Great video, makes it look so easy.

So with the scraps after trimming, is the better "deal" to get them already cut or plain?

Remember: Make sure your knife is SHARP when you trim those ribs. A dull knife will make the job messy and dangerous. And the paper towel for grabbing the membrane is a must!

j-bo said:
Thanks for the info.

I just looked at our winn dixie ad.

It has pork spareribs at $1.49 then another section it has St. Louis style at $2.39.

So the only difference, is I'm paying the extra .90/lb for them to be cut?

Great video, makes it look so easy.

So with the scraps after trimming, is the better "deal" to get them already cut or plain?

I'd get them whole and do it myself, you gotta learn sometime so now is the time!! :D

Plus the trimmings make great snacks while the ribs finish or you can freeze them and use them for beans or soup at a later time.

BchristL's suggestion of a sharp knife and paper towel is right on!!! They both are a must and make the job simple!!

I almost always buy my spareribs at Sam's, and have always been pleased with the quality. I've never seen any "enhanced" (aka "pumped full of expensive salt water") ribs at Sam's. They usually come 3 racks in a pack. Trimming them is pretty simple, as you already know, so I'd recommend buying them whole and making your own St. Louis ribs.

j-bo said:
Alrighty... got some whole ribs at Sams, trimmed em up. Man.. what do I do with all these trimmings?

What is the trimming called and maybe I can hunt for some recipe or how to cook this up.

I guess, in keeping with what the forum seems to do, is to take the camera out and you can see my masterful :roll: work.

I do have a couple other questions. I'll search around on the forum, but...

1. If you are having company, and my grill only has room for 6 slabs, what's the suggested way to do more? Cook some early and heat them up?

2. What if I want to cook some and eat them another day? Possible or just yuck?

3. What if I want to trim them all up and freeze the cut ribs? Bad idea? Possible?

Thanks for the help, I'm looking on the forum to see if I can find my own answers.
1. A rib rack might help...or you could do what you suggested...just dont sauce them before the reheat..and reheat them in foil till warm sauce them and then on the grate...
2. Buy a food saver...it's the way to go...a quick dip in boiling water in the bag and it's almost as good as the first day..
3. At some point the ribs were probably frozen between the shipper and the store..you can refreeze them but it might affect the quality some
Hope this helps

Over the last 4 years I have been buying ribs at Sam's and Hormel ribs at Target. Given the choice I would go with the Hormel ribs. Just my $.02.

BTW, my local butcher doesn't know what St. Louis style spare ribs are! I had to show him! I think he might be related to the owner :LOL:

monty3777 said:
Over the last 4 years I have been buying ribs at Sam's and Hormel ribs at Target. Given the choice I would go with the Hormel ribs. Just my $.02.

BTW, my local butcher doesn't know what St. Louis style spare ribs are! I had to show him! I think he might be related to the owner :LOL:

Eh... might wanna watch the salt content on the Hormels. Most are "pumped"..especially the "Always Tender" marked ones.
...and it's time to find a new Butcher.
:LOL: ;)

Hormel® Always Tender® flavored pork and beef are pre-seasoned with a marinade that guarantees the meat will remain succulent and flavorful, even if you over-cook it.

ScottyDaQ said:
monty3777 said:

Eh... might wanna watch the salt content on the Hormels. Most are "pumped"..especially the "Always Tender" marked ones.
...and it's time to find a new Butcher.
:LOL: ;)

Hormel® Always Tender® flavored pork and beef are pre-seasoned with a marinade that guarantees the meat will remain succulent and flavorful, even if you over-cook it.

The enhanced ribs from Hormel are pretty clearly marked. I certainly wouldn't advise using those. I called Hormel and they claim that only the meat clearly marked as enhansed have salt added. So, I'm pretty sure the straight packaged ribs are what they claim to be. However, I need to go and personally check. Perhaps I'm being duped! :oops:

Here's some pic's of 8 full racks of spares on a WSM. The racks are cut in half and there are 4 on the top and 4 on the bottom. 10 Racks would have fit easily....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom