RIBS VIDEO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BchrisL

Senior Cook
I found this on the BGE forum. Another HOW TO COOK RIBS video.

img_150046_0_de1ccca1a165d2627ea63df58ff5ba0a.jpg

After many years of wanting to create a good video on cooking ribs, I guess the new Sony High Def camera was all I needed to get the job done. Thanks to Dr. BBQ for his fine book and recipe, the Mother Ship for making a fine cooker, Shotgun Fred for his wonderful Guru ProCom4 and you all, for putting up with my stupid questions over the years. Hopefully, you will like the video. Ideally, if you are new to Eggin' this video will show you how great ribs are done and make your first cook a successful one. The video is in High Definition and if you have a monitor that will go 1280 or higher, you can really get some neat views. Since the file is large, it might require you to pause the video and let your computer/connection speed catch up. Anyway, pop a cold one, sit back and enjoy the show.

Uncle Phil

link

I really like the Egg setup in the counter!

The video was put together well.

While I have never tried it before, that looked like an awful lot of sugars going on those ribs. :shock:

I agree Cliff, the rub looked like it was mainly turbinado sugar as well (could be some kosher salt too).

If I've got the right recipe, Dr. BBQ says, "These ribs are very sweet."

Dr. BBQ said:
1/2 cup turbinado sugar
1 cup Big-Time Barbecue Rub (see recipe, p. 9)
[quote="Page 9":f5wd0kwl]1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup turbinado sugar
1/4 cup granulated brown sugar
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
1 tablespoon granulated onion
2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 slabs of St. Louis style ribs, membranes off and washed
2 cups honey
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 1/2 cups apple juice
2 cups Sweet and Sticky Barbecue Glaze (see recipe, p.42)
Page 42 said:
2 cups Thick and Sticky Barbecue Sauce (see recipe, p. 22)[quote="Page 22":f5wd0kwl] ... a KC-style ketchup- and molasses-based sauce
1/2 cup honey
1 tablespoon hot sauce of choice[/quote:f5wd0kwl]
[/quote:f5wd0kwl]
He's won lots of awards with these ribs.

--John
(I think a dusting of confectioner's sugar would be the crowning touch. ;) )

Unity said:
If I've got the right recipe, Dr. BBQ says, "These ribs are very sweet."

Dr. BBQ said:
1/2 cup turbinado sugar
[quote="Page 9":33ujqvbj]1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup turbinado sugar
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 cups honey
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 1/2 cups apple juice
[quote="Page 42":33ujqvbj]2 cups Thick and Sticky Barbecue Sauce (see recipe, p. 22)[quote="Page 22":33ujqvbj] ... a KC-style ketchup- and molasses-based sauce
1/2 cup honey
1 tablespoon hot sauce of choice[/quote:33ujqvbj]
[/quote:33ujqvbj]
He's won lots of awards with these ribs.

--John
(I think a dusting of confectioner's sugar would be the crowning touch. ;) )[/quote:33ujqvbj]

:shock:

Well I got around the cooking some of these ribs based on this recipe and the video at the top of this thread, Unity so graciously shared with us.

I went out and bought a slab of spare ribs untrimmed. I wanted to practice the training video I watched here.

I trimmed the slab up and cut it in half. I then rubbed them with this rub:
This recipe is for THREE RACKS!
Dr. BBQ said:
1/2 cup turbinado sugar
[quote="Page 9":2euysvvi]1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup turbinado sugar
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 cups honey
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 1/2 cups apple juice
Page 42 said:
2 cups Thick and Sticky Barbecue Sauce (see recipe, p. 22)[quote="Page 22":2euysvvi] ... a KC-style ketchup- and molasses-based sauce
1/2 cup honey
1 tablespoon hot sauce of choice[/quote:2euysvvi]
[/quote:2euysvvi]

Thanks to John and Jody for sharing.

I split the meat into two and the ribs went into the BGE and the trimming s went into the Char Grill gasser. I placed the ribs on the rack that was inside my cooking pan and placed that on the pizza stone. This is my usual setup as it keeps the direct infrared rays away from the underside oif the meat.

I was rushed as Melody was coming home from work and I wanted to serve them around that time, and I got a late start. My strategy was to trim the times and raise the temperature just a little to compensate. This does not work. The sugar in the rub will burn if you cook them too fast and it is unforgiving.

The cook went along with out a hitch. I must say that there is a lot of sugar in this rub and that means that you MUST NOT HAVE THE HEAT TOO HIGH! It will burn and turn black and nasty tasting! I finally turned off one side of the Char grill and placed the trimmings on the other side. This allowed them to cook a 300F which was a low as I could get the Char Grill to go. No Problem.

The Egg was slow to start because I had ash blocking the holes in the fire pot inside. This is not unusual, so I used my specially designed coat hanger to ream out the ash from the air holes in the egg. This allowed the fire to climb to 300 to 350 where I thought it would cook the ribs just fine. Indeed they were cooked but not falling off the bone when I pulled them off after two and 1/2 hours.

This is the majic of this recipe: You take the partially finished ribs and put them in an aluminum foil pan with brown sugar and honey, AND THEN add APPLE JUCE. You then place an aluminum cap on the pan and replace them in the cooker. They boil for 90 minutes in this mixture of apple juice, brown sugar and honey. When I took them out they were falling off the bone, so much in fact that I had to be careful to pick them up with the tongs to place them on the grill for the third stage of the cooking.

The last finishing stage, about thirty minutes, is just placing your favorite sauce on them and letting it thicken a little before serving. They were falling off the bone and really tasty. There was no difference in the taste between the ones that were cooked on the gasser or the ones cooked in the egg. Both were heavenly, except they were a little dark because I cooked them a little fast.

This recipe is time consuming, but it works. I recommend it, but DONT CHEAT! When it says 275F, it means 275! It says 3 hours it means 3 hours! If you are running late as I did this is not going to allow you to hurry it up, so take your time and you will have a set of ribs that will make your eyes roll back in your head they are so good.

I am sorry I did not take pictures today, I was using a new recipe, and was hurring along and I just didn't have time to get the camera.
Chris :D

I did a rack of ribs hot and fast last summer at the camp grounds. (adult beverages were involved :roll: ) Got into a argument with a guy with a BGE that said " ribs have to be par boiled first then low and slow with sauce " Hell, I took the rack and threw a rack right on his camp fire coals flipped the rack one time after about 2 min and brushed with sauce. Yea, they were not comp ribs. But by no means they were meat Jello!, and were tasty and good. What moron would par boil ribs and have a BGE? A stupid one with much too much money! :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL: That does sound BEER fueled. Sounds like the guy's wife cuts his meat for him too. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom