Pretty Disturbing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncle Bubba

Executive Chef
I just watched a report on the Today show about smoke alarms. They videotaped 4 children sleeping and watched to see if they awoke during a middle of the night drill. Only one of the 4 actually woke up but that was after 2 minutes of the alarm going off. The others were still asleep after 20 minutes of the alarm beeping. They sell interconnected alarms that will sound all the alarms in the house if there is smoke/fire in another. That way the smoke doesn't have to be near the alarm an allows more time to get out. For all of us that have kids...better think really hard about this one. It was eye opening because my two sleep like logs. We just had a family here lose 6 people in a house fire... under the age of 8. Please...check into this.

We got home security system with smoke alarms. When that mutha F*&$a goes off everybody is up, Its loud as sh!t!

Call ADT They will fix yall up. After all whats your familys life worth to you?

Ours calls the police the fire dept & anyone else you it programed to call

At least two manufacturers (Kidde, and First Alert) sell wireless smoke alarms that are interconnected with no need to install additional wires. So you can replace your a/c powered smoke alarms, and add battery powered alarms in rooms that don't already have one (if you want), and get a system where all will sound if any one senses smoke.

Yep, saw the same report. We have a program in the City I work in that installs smoke detectors for free. Kids not waking up is always a worry for us.

I went to a funeral for an 8 yr. old boy last night.
He was killed in a fire on Feb.21. I knew his Father.

Today I'm going to update my smoke alarms and add a few more.

they stay up too late playing video games. The alarms should make the sound of a lawnmower or tools and they might wake up to leave... :shock:

Picked up mine tonight. $175 for three of the linked ones. It's a lot but if they go off once and save someone, they're worth their weight in gold 1000x over. Took about 10 minutes to install and about another 5-10 to program the linking.

Being in the safety biddness, I am well aware of the information overload that people experience day to day. Normal sounds just won't cut it anymore. If it's not different or abusive to the ears, it might as well not be there.

I'm with JB. Get one that will cause nausia when it goes off!!!

Sorry to her about your friends child Puff.

I have a burglar, smoke and fire alarm and had a amplifier put on the external siren. My closes neighbor live a 1/4 mile from me and they can hear it when it goes off. Now let me tell you that thing is loud. The alarm system is one of the best investments I have made.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom