Thermometers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rag1

Executive Chef
I tested my Teltrus and Guru probes in boiling water. All read right on.
But.....when installed in the meadow creek. I get a big difference. I clip the Guru probe to the end of the Teltru probe and get 30* or more difference. The Teltru reads lower. If this is true, then a lot of guys are cooking at much higher temps than they think.
The real question is how can I get that different reading when clipped together.
Very, very weird.

Sounds logical Cliff, but I would think after a long period of time both probes would reach the same temp.
What I have is an alligator clip with an hollow end for elect test probe to fit in. The Guru probe slides into this gator clip and then I clip it to the Teltru probe. I'm really amazed at the offset in temps.
Could this be the case with all large offsets?

Rag said:
Sounds logical Cliff, but I would think after a long period of time both probes would reach the same temp.
What I have is an alligator clip with an hollow end for elect test probe to fit in. The Guru probe slides into this gator clip and then I clip it to the Teltru probe. I'm really amazed at the offset in temps.
How far into the cook did you take the temp?
It's been my experience that digital therms tend to react quicker then the other kind.

wittdog said:
Rag said:
It's been my experience that digital therms tend to react quicker then the other kind.

A couple of hours. I have to do more testing. This is too weird to let pass.

Rag said:
wittdog said:
Rag said:

A couple of hours. I have to do more testing. This is too weird to let pass.
You sure you werent' having a flash back or a senior moment? :LOL:

Rag

how do you like your Meadow Creek TS250? I bought a BBQ42 chicken cooker through them last year. I needed to make a few small changes to it but overall I am very happy. When they built mine they were switching paint companies and when I got it they had wrapped platic all over to protect the finish. the problem was that the paint had not dried yet and I had marks allover. this was followed by the paint falling off in large chuncks. Meadow creek has been very good in dealing with it. they are willing to pay to fix the paint. only problem it is under 3 feet of snow now.

Tim

pressuretreatedsmoker said:
Rag

how do you like your Meadow Creek TS250? I bought a BBQ42 chicken cooker through them last year. I needed to make a few small changes to it but overall I am very happy. When they built mine they were switching paint companies and when I got it they had wrapped platic all over to protect the finish. the problem was that the paint had not dried yet and I had marks allover. this was followed by the paint falling off in large chuncks. Meadow creek has been very good in dealing with it. they are willing to pay to fix the paint. only problem it is under 3 feet of snow now.

Tim

I live about 45 minutes from MC. They are very nice folks and will take care of you.
The ts250 is super. Haven't been able to find a fault with it so far other than the axle is a touch too far back which makes it hitch heavy for hand moving. You wouldn't belive how that makes my wife bitch.
I have had some roaring fires and the firebox paint has held up good.
They cost a bit more, but it is better made than most. Better cost more....a fact of life.

I haven't pushed it to much. I posted for sale on 3 forums. A fellow in MI is interested, but looking at several makes.
Maybe later I'll turn up the wick.

Rag said:
I haven't pushed it to much. I posted for sale on 3 forums. A fellow in MI is interested, but looking at several makes.
Maybe later I'll turn up the wick.
Drop it off here.....that way I wont' have to wait till you will it to me :LOL:

Capt Dan said:
Rag, I'll be there on Sat, come hell or blinding snow. I am the fellow in Mich.Looking forward to meeting you. I checked out your pics of the winery pig roast. Looks like ya had alot of fun.

See ya sat!

Dan J.

Don't fight the weather, Dan, it isn't going anywhere unless Wittdog sneaks down here..
:LOL: :LOL:

Great news Capt. Nine hours is long. It's hard to tell if the Lang is behind ya....have to keep checking the mirrors.
Now you have to cook up something and post the pics. She don't like to sit idle.

Rag said:
I tested my Teltrus and Guru probes in boiling water. All read right on.
But.....when installed in the meadow creek. I get a big difference. I clip the Guru probe to the end of the Teltru probe and get 30* or more difference. The Teltru reads lower. If this is true, then a lot of guys are cooking at much higher temps than they think.
The real question is how can I get that different reading when clipped together.
Very, very weird.

Rag, how far into you cooker is the stem from the Tel Tru? If you notice on the stem there are grooves, those must be inside the cooker and not touching anything in order to have an accurate reading. The problem could be your stem could be too short. :LOL:

HERE is what I'm talking about!

BTW you can buy Tel-Tru Thermometers HERE at the lowest price you will find!

Back
Top Bottom