Best Pit Poll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WSM $200

UDS $50 + Labor

I would love to own a Lang but it wouldn't be because it cooks better than the two I already have stated above.

I use a Stumps 222 and a Primo Oval. But I've seen the guy right across from me in a comp clean my clock with a WSM. The Backwoods Chubby is also a great cooker.

I guess my point is. Use what you can control to your liking. Turn out the best product you can and let the judges decide.

We started comp cooking with an el cheapo Brinkmann offset (Snnp) and an ECB. Total investment about $150. Course you gonna need a pickup or trailer to haul it. If you have to go buy a new pickup prob add 40 thousand to the previous figger:)

bigwheel

This is one decision that aint gonna be easy. I mean, I seriously wanting to start competing and want a good pit, just don't want to waste money on a mod that's going to be trouble some.
Other factors come into play, like, it's got to be big enough for comp and my catering, but I don't want over kill.
As for the crock pot method, today I told my wife I got to get started perfecting my BBQ brisket and she said...."how ya gonna do it, in the crock pot" :shock: :?
Got to get an O2 meter and check the levels in my house :LOL:

Purdy well set with a pick up truck.

Well pits is sorta like guns in they tend to be specialized. 30-06 aint real well suited for dove hunting just as an example. A perfect comp pit aint gonna be the perfect catering rig. Now have seen numberous occasions where folks use giant catering rigs for comps..and thats just fine if a person can afford one...uses it for other puposes..has sponsors and hanger arounders..wild wimmens they enjoy feeding where they need to provide a bunch of meat etc. And I know some catering vending folks who use real small pits for that purpose..but they spend a lot of time cooking and hoarding it up till the big occasion arrives then hopefully have some strategy in mind to reheat it..or they dont cater for very large crowds. So guess there is exceptions to every rule. Closest thing I can comprehend for a dual purpose pit would be a largish insulated upright such as a Back Woods Smoker (BWS) or a Stumps. In an ideal world a person could find something along that line which could also cook on propane or electricity for the catering portion of the endeavor..whilst running it on charcoal and chunks for the comps. Just thinking out loud a little here:)

bigwheel

Ok I see what your saying BW.
Lets forget about the cater part for now.......right now my main odjective here is to purchase a comp smoker.
One that can handle ALL the comp meats at once and is relatively easy to maintain temperatures.

Looking at Backwoods, Cookshack, and now going to peek at Stumps, I forgot about them.

Well..unless they got a new pit of which I am unawares..think you could rule out the Cookshack. Each one of them I have seen runs on electric and that aint legal for most comps that I ever heard about.

bigwheel

N.Smoke might be talking about the FEC line by cookshack which is allowed by KCBS. It is pellet driven. A lot of folks who are winning in comps right now are using the FEC line of cookers!

Yah Greg I think was the FEC100 model
So far stump is lookin good at $1700 for the elite, but is it big enough. Then there's Backwoods and Cookshack, would like to see about 3 more different mods.

2.gif

6.gif

If you like Stumps check out the Spicewine Smokers. There are 3 sizes and the large is more than enough space to comp cook.

Well thanks for that tip on the Spice Wine..thought them was some kinda offset for some reason.

bigwheel

SteerCrazy said:
If you like Stumps check out the Spicewine Smokers. There are 3 sizes and the large is more than enough space to comp cook.

Back
Top Bottom