Salt and Pepper Brisket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
Put on a 7lb flat this morning around 10am, seasoned with Kosher salt and lots of black pepper. Just wanted to keep this one simple. More pic's to follow.

I'm just sayin, simple is quite often the best. Especially in
bbq contests...folks often try to overflavor the meat.

with fennel seed and stuff.

In all the year I have barbecue. I have never just done a salt and pepper brisket. I just may have try that one. Looking larry.

Do look good. Cooper's in Llano supposed to use salt n peppa only..and generally regarded as having some of the best storebought brisket around. Course they cook direct over mesquite coals. That make an old boot taste purty good.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Do look good. Cooper's in Llano supposed to use salt n peppa only..and generally regarded as having some of the best storebought brisket around. Course they cook direct over mesquite coals. That make an old boot taste purty good.

bigwheel

You hit on something BW. I've watched a few BBQ shows with BBQ Joints that only use S&P on briskets and it looks like some of the best brisket I've ever seen. So since I've been debating trying to do a S&P brisket anyways, this gave me more incentive to try.

brian j said:
i'm sure the brisket will come out great larry (even though i'm sure you're going to foil it :P ). a while back i was using equal parts salt, pepper, and paprika on briskets and they were coming out great.

Maybe not.............I haven't been foiling recently. This brisket had a nice fat cap that is making me debate foiling on this one too.

Well I aint prone to agreeing with Barney Fife looking characters too much but am forced to side with ya on this issue. Like my old mentor Joe Ames was fond of saying...In any kinda cooking contest it aint often the best which wins but the least offensive. Now thats deep huh? I got bullets if you need another. Let me know.

bigwheel

Captain Morgan said:
I'm just sayin, simple is quite often the best. Especially in
bbq contests...folks often try to overflavor the meat.

with fennel seed and stuff.

Larry I've been wanting to cook a brisket like that.
Can't wait to read the results.

S&P&G

The amount is the question. The garlic should be suttle, the pepper bold, and the salt bordering on too much.

Bring on the pics!!

Briskets done and turned out great! I like the simplicity of the salt and pepper. It was a nice change! It's definitely worth trying!

Nice pics. That looks as good as it gets. Moist? Tender? Looks like it. Nice cook. Serving size looked small......that plate was for one of the kids, right?

Back
Top Bottom