Deer Roast Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
Hey folks.

I am on vacation down in Texas and my nephew has a deer roast that he is putting in the oven overnight. I know nothing about deer roast other than it is lean. This one looks to weigh about 8lbs.

He plans to wrap in foil and bake in the oven at 250 overnight and serve for lunch tomorrow.

Does this sound like a solid plan ?

Should he cook at higher temp and less time ?

Internal temp ?

He wants it to be somewhat pullable and I don't have a clue.

Advice much needed.

Cliff, If he wants it pullable, I might suggest doing it like you do a pot roast, in a roasting pan with some liquid, covered. I think that roast is to lean for a low/slow cook...just my 2 cents...

I don't think a deer roast is an overnight thing. I brown game roasts and then braise with a lot of liquid, but only for 2 or 3 hours. Let us know how it comes out.

Venison Roast

I am doing 2 of them today. I brined them overnight, I will coat with Olive Oil, put on my rub and then wrap with bacon. I put all my meats in aluminum pans and add a little beer.
I'll smoke them at 300 until internal temp of 140.
Go any higher than 140 and they will be as dry as a popcorn (well you know).
I'll post pics on my web site.
If you cook that meat overnight, I hope you have 2 of them. You are going to be able to wear them as sandles this Spring!!!
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!

john pen said:
Rag said:
[quote="john pen":lsqe6f9l]
Puff said:
The good ol' crock pot will work in a pinch ;)
I was going to suggest that, but did not want to subject myself to public ridicule !

Let me be the first. Crock pot ??? your a ninny.

Id go as far as to call him a fagot (hope thats not to strong for general consumption)[/quote:lsqe6f9l]
I think I liked ninny better :?
Like neither one of you old farts uses a crockpot :roll:

He cooked it wrapped in foil for about six hours. It was somewhat tender when hot but quickly went a bit dry. The flavor was good. We will both consider this a learning curve. ;)

Game is tricky, as Puff said, due to the low fat ratio in the meat. It's either hot and fast or 2-3 hours in a lot of liquid. Next you can adjust accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom