doing my first turkey this weekend. a few tips needed...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gordon1

Senior Cook
doing my first turkey this weekend for a christmas party we are having. using a chargriller offset, lump charcoal and cherry wood (not too much wood).

I found/read many threads and have a pretty good understanding of what I'm in for.

I should be able to find a fresh turkey at one of the hippie stores in town. so seems like most folks like to brine with fresh turkeys. and particular brines??

also what the heck do you brine them in? a big ziplock type bag?

should a brined turkey be injected?

I'm not set on brining. want to hear y'alls thoughts/expert opions. the turkey my sister did this year (in the oven) was the best she ever did! she injected with some kind of cajun mx and used a store bought dry rub (not sure which one). she also stuffed it with a grapefruit. did all this the night before. I was thinking of doing something along those lines but wasn't sure about brining etc.

any good home made turkey rubs tips? I know if I brine to lay off the salt in the rub.

now cook temps and time...

I've read anywhere from 220-325 for the smoker. we like the skin so thinking of going towards the high end. thoughts? should it be real low and slow or 300-325 ok? read about 30 mins a pound but that was at 225ish. thinking times should be pretty easy to estimate using times for 350 in the oven and adding a bit more time for the smoker. I know "it's done when it's done" but need to get an idea since we will have guest and we are doing some beer can chickens on the gas grill so we'd like to have it all off around the same time.

turkey temps

read 160-165. is that for breast or thigh? or is like chicken. 160 for white, 175 for dark? do you pull it off a bit before that and rest to temp or pull it at temp and let it rest a few mins?

thanks in advance and sorry for the noob questions.

When I fry a turkey I use a Cajun Injector which you can get at Walmart. I also use Tony Chachere's seasoning also at Walmart. If you want to brine use a 5 gallon bucket. You can get food grade plastic buckets at restaurant supply houses. I've never brined a turkey. I smoked one years ago (15 or more years ago) before I really got into smoking which didn't come out well. I'm sure other will be here later to give you some help.

Good Luck.

Gordon, here is the brine I use. I have been using it for years and folks LOVE it. I strongly recomend brining. Good luck.

Apple Brine
2 quarts apple juice
1 pound brown sugar
1 cup kosher salt
3 oranges -- quartered
4 ounces fresh ginger -- thinly sliced
15 whole cloves
6 bay leaf, whole
6 cloves garlic
Wolfe Rub Original Rub (www.wolferub.com)

In a large saucepan over high heat, bring apple juice, brown sugar, and salt to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar and salt. Cook for 1 minute, remove from heat, and skim off the foam. Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.
In a 5 gallon plastic bucket or other container large enough to easily hold the turkey, combine 3 quarts of water, the oranges, ginger, cloves, bay leaves, and garlic. Add the apple juice mixture and stir.
Remove and discard the fat from the turkey cavity. Reserve the neck and giblets for another use. Rinse the turkey inside and out, drain, and submerge the turkey in the brine. If necessary, top with a heavy weight to be sure it is completely immersed. Refrigerate for 24 hours.
Follow the grill's instructions for using wood chips. Set up the grill for indirect cooking over medium heat.
Remove the turkey from the brine and pat with paper towels until very dry. Tie the legs together with cotton string. Lightly brush the turkey with vegetable oil, and place on a roasting rack set inside a heavy-gauge foil pan. Sprinkle Wolfe Rub Original Rub liberly over the bird. Cook indirectly over medium heat. When the wings are golden brown, about 40 minutes, wrap them in aluminum foil to prevent them from burning. Brush the rest of the turkey with vegetable oil. When the turkey breasts are golden brown, about one hour, cover the turkey with aluminum foil to prevent the skin from getting too brown. The turkey is done when its juices run clear, the internal temperature is bout 180d F, and the internal temperature of the breast is about 165d F. Figure 12 to 14 minutes per pound.
Transfer the turkey to a cutting board or platter, cover loosely with aluminum foil and let rest 20 minutes before carving. The pan drippings may be used to make gravy.

cleglue said:
When I fry a turkey I use a Cajun Injector which you can get at Walmart. I also use Tony Chachere's seasoning also at Walmart. If you want to brine use a 5 gallon bucket. You can get food grade plastic buckets at restaurant supply houses. I've never brined a turkey. I smoked one years ago (15 or more years ago) before I really got into smoking which didn't come out well. I'm sure other will be here later to give you some help.

Good Luck.
Show him your video.. It was very good... :D

surfinsapo said:
cleglue said:

Good Luck.
Show him your video.. It was very good... :D

Thanks Surfinsapo...Here is the video thread link if you wish to see it Gordon.

http://www.bbq-4-u.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ing+turkey

Gordon,

I did just under a 15lber on my WSM at Thanksgiving, anything in the 12-16lb range will be fine for your Chargriller.

Here is my take on this. I did one this year and loved it. I cut and pasted this from some instructions I sent a friend on another website.
Good Luck!

> First I cleaned up the 18lb bird and split it down> the middle cutting the breast bone in half. I used> three cups of seasoning. One cup Big Ron's Rub:> Just Rub It On!, one cup of Big Ron's Hint of> Houston: It's Heat for Your Meat! and once cup of> Kosher Salt. I rubbed it very libberally all over> under the skin and in all places I could reach as> well. Then I put it to Brine adding it to a large> sealable bag sitting in a cooler. I added ice and> cold water until the bird was tottally submerged and> keep it iced down overnight. When I lit my pit I> pulled the bird and using the brining liquid I> "rinsed" the excess seasoning as it had soaked up> the flavor it needs. I also like to use a drip pan> underneath with Cola in it to keep it moist, as the> heat will keep the moistier circulating. I layed the> Turkey spread out with the split side down, folding> the wings behind the arms and spreading out the> legs. The heat needs to stay around 300-350. I> used Charcoal and added some Pecan wood, about a log> every two hours. After 3 hours I used the turkey> baster and began basting using the drip pan liquids.> Mine took about 6 hours before it was done. Some> people like to inject, but I am certain the brining> method will give great results to the entire bird,> not just the injected parts. This will keep both> white and dark meat lovers happy. You should end up> with a moist flavorful bird with a light smoky hint.

one last thing. I've read some people brine over night , dry it, rub it and then cook. also read some brine overnight, dry it and let it sit in the fridge over night. thoughts? I can do either one.

gordon said:
one last thing. I've read some people brine over night , dry it, rub it and then cook. also read some brine overnight, dry it and let it sit in the fridge over night. thoughts? I can do either one.

FWIW, when I brine I take the bucket out to the cooker, drain as much water out of the cavity and put it right on the cooker, no patting dry etc. When I cook self basting birds I rinse them off and then right onto the cooker. I don't pat or let dry overnight in the fridge either way I cook them. I also prefer them naked, "without any rub". I think it doesn't add much if any flavor to the bird unless you make a butter compound and really work it under the skin. I also think it ruins the finished color of the natural golden brown skin.

one more last thing ;)

I'll start the bird breast side up. do you flip at the mid way point? I've read both.

pics to come tomorrow night if all goes well.

Back
Top Bottom