Need your opinion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WildFireEric

Senior Cook
I was emailed that my boss is willing to buy 20 pounds of pulled pork after the rave reviews he got last week at a tailgate party from the 2 that I gave him (I lost a football bet and gave him 2 butts to settle the debt). I never gave him a price and don't know if he's willing to pay up to $25/butt. I know in the past he liked my chili a lot, but wasn't willing to pay $20/gallon for it.

Assuming he's not aware of the costs of both material and time to produce quality bbq and/or chili in small amounts is the only reason that I can think of him commenting on my chili being among the best he's ever eaten and the pulled pork tasting better than the bbq place in Baltimore (although I don't think Baltimore is well known for BBQ, like northern VA isn't exactly a BBQ paradise either).

So, if I'm to offer to cook for him in time for this Sunday's game, I'd have to email him my price and quanty soon so he can agree to it. I would think 6 butts and $25 each should be good, unless any of you think a little less is ok for this. I don't want to under sell myself, but this is the first "possible" paying gig and I'd like the exposure. On the otherhand, my family from out of town is here and I could easily spend the time with them. nawww. maybe doing the bbq is better :) Anyways, any opion would be useful. I only have to prepare and deliver the pulled pork (including driving either 30 miles if I don't get paid the full price, or drive the 60 miles if I do get my price). Should take 12 hours on my two WSMs plus pulling time and any prep time. May do it overnight once the temps stabilize.

I'd like to hear from you because I understand you have to balance whether you'd like to do this, not to undersell yourself, know if you discount that you won't be able to raise prices, and what else is involved.

A round here pulled pork commands a price of $10.00 / lb (cooked weight) or $30.00 -$35.00 / butt, (7 - 8 lb butts uncooked weight), so depending on if the wants 20 lbs delivered or 20 lbs cooked and about 10 lbs delivered, the price point changes.

20 lbs delivered @ $10.00 = $200.00
20 lbs cooked (10 lbs delivered) @ $10.00 = $100.00
2 Butts at $30.00 - 35.00 = $60.00 - $70.00

In areas where pulled pork is more common I have seen / lb prices as low as $8.00 / lb I can't recall having seen any in he last year cheaper than that.

Eric, don't do it for anything less than $10lb........Make it worth your while.......If you have the room to cook and store, I'd go ahead and buy a case of butts to save you money and stock your freezer while you're at it. 5-8lb (raw weight butts should give you more than enough finished product. I did two this weekend that weighed about 15.5 lbs raw and yielded 9.5 cooked product.

$10 a pound for a low volume cook is a more than fair price. You need to consider every single thing (foil, bags, pans, charcoal, wood, time and beer :shock:) that it's going to require for you to cook. Good luck, let us know how it turns out! Oh and don't forget, no pic's no cook!! ;)

You guys gotta do yourselves a favor and don't sell yourself short in your pricing. Most of the places that charge less than $10 a pound are a business with a cooker that will cook several cases butts at once, so they are immediately saving money by cooking in a higher volume and taking less time to do so. Plus their BBQ is not going to be as good as what you guys are making. Don't go strictly by what other places are charging, go by what it's costing you! If people think it's too much, then tell them to go up the road and get the crappy BBQ for less. If they like your BBQ, they'll pay for it.

Larry Wolfe said:
You guys gotta do yourselves a favor and don't sell yourself short in your pricing. Most of the places that charge less than $10 a pound are a business with a cooker that will cook several cases butts at once, so they are immediately saving money by cooking in a higher volume and taking less time to do so. Plus their BBQ is not going to be as good as what you guys are making. Don't go strictly by what other places are charging, go by what it's costing you! If people think it's too much, then tell them to go up the road and get the crappy BBQ for less. If they like your BBQ, they'll pay for it.

Yup! The Wolfe man is right!

Thanks for the help. No response from him yet so either he is cheap or testing my deadline. Anyways, if he can't get 15 or 20 guys to pony up $10 bucks, then I'm guess he's gonna be eating Lloyds or something. I'm guessing he's popular when there's free food.

Larry, you ever have that problem when people only like you for your food, or do people like you for your wit and charm :)

Seriously, my plunge into BBQ fortune (or make a downpayment on my beer fund) may just have to wait another week or two.

WildFireEric said:
Thanks for the help. No response from him yet so either he is cheap or testing my deadline. Anyways, if he can't get 15 or 20 guys to pony up $10 bucks, then I'm guess he's gonna be eating Lloyds or something. I'm guessing he's popular when there's free food.

Larry, you ever have that problem when people only like you for your food, or do people like you for your wit and charm :)

Seriously, my plunge into BBQ fortune (or make a downpayment on my beer fund) may just have to wait another week or two.

Eric people don't like me period, including everyone here.................just ask them they'll tell you! :LOL:

One thing I can tell you is enjoy making good BBQ, share it with you friends and family. Once you try to make money doing it, it loses it's fun cause it ends up being alot of work. That's why I must reemphasize to "make it worth your time". If your Boss would prefer to spend $20 on a couple tubs of Lloyds to feed his guests then so be it. You know your BBQ is better than Lloyds, so sit back and enjoy one of your own sammiches this weekend while you know he is trying to muster the strength to swallow a load of that steamed mush he bought in the tub!!

Larry Wolfe said:
WildFireEric said:

Eric people don't me period, including everyone here.................just ask them they'll tell you! :LOL:

One thing I can tell you is enjoy making good BBQ, share it with you friends and family. Once you try to make money doing it, it loses it's fun cause it ends up being alot of work. That's why I must reemphasize to "make it worth your time". If your Boss would prefer to spend $20 on a couple tubs of Lloyds to feed his guests then so be it. You know your BBQ is better than Lloyds, so sit back and enjoy one of your own sammiches this weekend while you know he is trying to muster the strength to swallow a load of that steamed mush he bought in the tub!!

LOL - my bbq better than Lloyds. you haven't tasted it recently. heheheh.

Seriously, you are right. I didn't mind making it for him for the football bet because I knew it would turn out good and he was in for a surprise. I'm sure you're right on your point. I do like making it for friends at work. They never complain about a free lunch. I got a standing invite to bring it to work any day I want. But, I will be making some ribs for a Christmas party I'm invited to. So, we'll see how a bunch of football coaches from the CYA likes my que.

Try charging the cost of the raw meat plust two bucks a pound to cook it. That should work and be fair to all.

bigwheel

Thanks. He failed to respond in time. so no go this weekend. Thanks for the advise since its good to know this when the opportunity comes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom