JB, Buffarilo or Knine...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surfinsapo

Master Chef
Does this look right to you cajuns? I can't find much seasoning for this on the grocery shelf. I can make this up with seperate spices... I will be doing the first meathod outside like JB did. It don't show lemon juice like JB though.. I guess I can make the mix from here and copy JB's method in the video. Burn Baby Burn!

Code:
The Cajun Chef--Seafood
Blackened Redfish

* redfish filets
    * 1 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
    * 1 1/2 tsp. paprika powder
    * 3 tsp. salt
    * 1 tsp. onion powder
    * 1 tsp. garlic powder
    * 1/2 tsp. white pepper
    * 1/2 tsp. black pepper
    * 1/2 tsp. oregano
    * 1/2 tsp. thyme
    * olive oil
    * 1/4 lb butter (1 stick)

Mix all the dry ingredients thoroughly to form the blackening mix. Rub 3 or 4 single/serving fish filets with the olive oil and dust with the blackening mix. Heat a cast iron skillet to nearly red hot. Drop one-half of the stick of butter into the pan. Immediately place the filets in the pan which should be cooked for no more than 2 minutes per side. Add additional butter after turning if needed.

It is recommended to cook blackened fish outside because of the amount of smoke that is generated.

Alternate method for inside cooking. It will still generate quite a bit of smoke. Use any type of skillet, preferably with a non-stick finish. Place the pan on the burner set on high and add one-fourth of the stick of butter. Wait until the butter turns dark brown, nearly black. Then, put in 2 or 3 prepared filets. Cook about 2 minutes per side maintaining high heat. If more remains to be cooked, add more butter and allow the butter to turn dark brown once more before placing the additional filets in the skillet.

Page printed from:
[url]http://www.thecajunchef.com/seafood/blackredfish.htm[/url]

Thanks Witt. JB called and told me it sounded correct. We'll see tonight.. :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom