Chili for the cold weather

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bknox

Head Chef
Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my f
Sapo's Beef Stew recipe nudged me to dig up this recipe.

Here is my chili recipe. I love it! It is chuncky and tasty. We always have called it Western Style Chili as most chili I had as a kid was made from ground beef. Soon the weather will be cool and this will be whats for dinner.

Some people might think this is hot, if so, less cayenne

WESTERN STYLE CHILI

Seasoning Mix:
3 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 teaspoons cayenne
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons dried thyme
2 teaspoons Hungarian smoked paprika
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 Tablespoon Salt

2 tablespoons oil
2 lb. lean beef cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 red bell pepper diced
1/2 green red pepper diced
1 pablano pepper diced
2 med. onions diced
2 Tablespoons flour
2 cups of beef stock
2 One lb. cans of red beans
2 bay leaves

Mix first 12 ingredients in a bowl (Seasoning Mix).

Heat the oil in a pan large enough to hold everything, a five quart pot might do the trick.

Just as oil starts to smoke add the meat and 4 tablespoons or so of the seasoning you mixed earlier. Stir frequently until meat begins to brown. About 4 minutes.

Add the red, green and pablano peppers along with the onion. Stir every couple of minutes, for 8 or 9 minutes, scrapping the bottom and sides as necessary.

Add the flour and a cup of the beef stock and stir vigorously.

Add the beans, juice and all. The rest of the stock and the bay leaves. Simmer until it is the consistency of chili.

Serve with chopped onion, a splash of Tabasco and a cool beer.

Enjoy,
Bryan

For some unkown reason I don't get notified when new post comes out in the recipe section. Looks fine BK, Pic's?

JB,
Hopefully soon. I had the stent removed today and boy I will tell you that is one unpleasant experience. Hopefully now my kidney will be saved and I can resume what ever normality I had before.

This chili is always at the top of my list when cool weather rolls around so I should be making it in the next couple weeks and I will make sure to post some pictures.

Chili Pictures

It was chili this weekend and I made the chili from my recipe posted above.

Here is the ingredients, very simple
Chili.jpg

In the pot.
Chili1.jpg

The cornbread that I put in it. recipe is on the bag of corn meal.
Cornbread.jpg

In the bowl and ready to eat. We also grated some cheese on top.
Chili3.jpg

MMMMmmmmmm!!!

I will make this a day in advance when I have company as it gets better with time, and a bit spicier.

Enjoy,
Bryan
[/list]

Looks mighty tasty. Good looking cornbread too. Glad the stent thing was successful.

bigwheel

Well highly glad to hear the magician did his bidness according to the plan. Thats whut counts. Senor warden went in for a stent but her blockage was too close to a crisscross of the vein or artery or whutever..so they just puffed it out and forget it. Guess it was the right choice since she still kicking and it been 10 years or close back in time. May the Lord continue to smile His Face on you. Now like DAT's say we gonna need to continueth to work on the chili. Whuts up with this cinnamon stuff:)

bigwheel

Captain Morgan said:
John, lots of serious chili chefs use chocolate....for more info, consult Scotty Da Q or Bigwheel.
Well, it's not the first time I've been on the low end of the information curve. :roll:

--John 8)

Well I used chocolate a few times. Does add a certain mysterious richness to the brew I think. Now old brudder Redneck let slip one time he put's 3 Hershey Kisses in his chili each time. So I done that for years. Come to find out think he was just poking my eye a little. Supposedly you can come close to duplicating the chocolate addition by using a little black coffee in there. Have seen recipes which call for one or the other..as if they was interchangeable. Know coffee works well as a reheating liquid for brisket too.

bigwheel

Believe I be forced to leave it out. For some reason I dont care for the flavor of it on meat..cept for ham. Now I used to live next door to this Mexican Okie fella...and he always put cinnamon in any kinda ground meat concoction. Might be a regional or ethnic thang.

bigwheel

bknox said:
My brother is who got me using cinamon in bbq sauces and chili. It changes the flavor for the better. You could leave it out if you do not care for it. I have made it without and this is still a good recipe for chili.

Back
Top Bottom