My first stab at canning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill The Grill Guy

Master Chef
I wanted to bring up some peppers to the Oink but they wont last that long so I decided to can them. Wittdog talked me through the process.

I have 6 pints of Cowboy Candy, 4 pints of Pickled Red Cowhorn peppers and 2 pints of Pickled Cyanne peppers. They look good. Hope they taste good.

They look great, Bill! Way to go. I really respect the way you expand your cooking horizons.

Rich

John A. said:
They sure look good Bill. What is this snow stuff you guys keep talking about?
John: It looks like this.

Canned stuff is great. (around Feb..) We do around 3 to 4 bushel of tomatoes each year. Along with jam, pickles, and other things that are local grown. Nice job Bill.

brian j said:
i've been wanting to can tomatoes but have never gotten around to it. what canning process did you follow?

For the red cowhorns and cayannes I cut them up and put them in a sterilized jar. Made a simple brine out of vinagar, water, garlic and salt and boiled the brine. Then pored it over the peppers and put the jars in boiling water for 15 min. Then took them out and put the lids and band on them. It was easy. The cowboy candy I did the same with out the brine.

Awesome Bill!!

I also decided to try my hand at canning for the first time this summer. So far, I've canned 50 quarts of tomatoes!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom