wsm vs bbqpro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big dude

Sous Chef
I have a 20x48 offset which is great for when I have a lot of meat to smoke, but I'd like something smaller for when one slab of ribs is in order. In looking at the wsm vs bbqpro they appear to be the same except for more stacks and therefore accessability of the pro. I don't think I'll be able to see either one live so will have to mail order sight unseen with only your advise as a guide. I'd sure appreciate your thoughts as to advantages/disadvantages of one vs the other. Thanks

From one big dude to another...I wholeheartedly recommend the WSM. I have 2 of them. They are the best "bang for your buck" cooker on the market.

You can go to any barbecue bulletin board you can find and ask for opinions on the WSM and you, by and large, will get responses singing the praises of this cooker. Also it has it's own web site, if you didn't know. Check it out, anything you want to know about a WSM is there.

www.virtualweberbullet.com

If you end up buying a WSM and you are not satisfied, I'll take it off your hands. Good Luck

Pro Q

big water pan, small charcoal basket
locking/removable/stackable sections with handles for portability and ease of access to meat
only one bottom vent
smaller diameter than the WSM
cheaper construction than the WSM

WSM

smallish water pan large charcoal basket
only one middle section without handles
three bottom vents
built like a tank

I have used both and honestly, I gave away my Pro Q. In terms of ease of use, the WSM is pretty much set and forget. The three bottom vents give you excellent control of your burn, the Pro Q, not so much. This was my major concern, if you have control of your fire, everything else is gravy. I couldn't seem to keep temps up, with the top and bottom vents wide open.

They both put out excellent BBQ, I just ended up sticking with what I was accustomed to. Since giving away my Pro Q, I have picked up another WSM. ;)

Thanks guys - I believe I'm sold on the wsm. The ability to do an overnight cook without hourly attention is really appealing. I'm getting too old to sit up all night and drink beer - maybe all day, but not all night.

I have both. Go with the WSM. I think the ProQ's are still good however there are some kinks to it like a lack of vents on the bottom. It only comes with one and its not enough. I put another in and it makes a world of difference. Also the Proq's are welded where as the WSMs are extruded. Makes a difference. I think the ProQ will get there eventually just going to take some mods and time.

The ProQ is ideal for a stoker or guru. The lack of vents is the only real downside to this cooker. Once loaded with meat I couldn't seem to keep temps up where I wanted them.

Chris try using some Basques Charcoal in your ProQ it will make a difference. You can get it at Ontario Gas BBQ they stock it regularly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom