WSM Spares - Pigs Worst Nightmare Rub

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smokemaster

Senior Cook
Camera date/time is wrong :oops:
I used this recipe before and was happy with the results. This time I put a coat of Apple Butter on the ribs and then sprinkled the rub. Using Hickory chunks this time.
411_wsmsmile8gm_1.jpg

Pigs Worst Nightmare AppleRub (PWNAR)

6 Tbsp Ground Dried apple
3 Tbsp Brown Sugar
3 Tbsp Turbinado Sugar
3 Tbsp Coarse Salt
1 Tsp Sweet Paprika
1 Tsp Garlic Powder
½ Tsp Ground Black Pepper

411_DSCI0058_1.jpg

411_DSCI0055_1.jpg

411_DSCI0060_1.jpg

I've been thinking about trying that rub..let me knwo what you think of it...
Whats that Green stuff around the WSM?

It's the stuff that was under the snow. :D
You can see a little patch of the white stuff on the right.

Uncle Bubba said:
Any easy way to get dried apples?

Dried apple is not available in a lot of places so you can make your own by doing this.

Take 3 apples, slices them VERY thin. Spray or butter a cooking sheet. Place the thin apple slices on the tray and salt the apples slices, add brown sugar to the apple slices. To dry them out put them in the oven at 150 degrees for 2-3 hours. They will not become completely dried out and crunchy in the oven, after it appears they are drying you can take them out and let them rest. I usually let them sit over night and they are very crunchy in the morning ready to grind up.

The Dried apples are hard to make. The first time I made them I didn't core them and added the sugar and salt.
411_100_2142_1.jpg

The 2nd try was better. I peeled and cored the apples. No sugar or salt this time. Sliced them with a Boerner V-Hoebel. In the oven at 150 (top/bottom heat) for 2 hrs. Took them out and let them dry overnight on paper towels. Same thing next day. Ground them in a coffee grinder.

The super markets sell sliced-dried apple snacks in a bag like tater chips. A little pricey way of getting them, but good for a test run and different flavors are available

Rag said:
The super markets sell sliced-dried apple snacks in a bag like tater chips. A little pricey way of getting them, but good for a test run and different flavors are available
Make sure they are dry real dry...if they aren't then it wont' work

This may sound stupid, but what keeps the sugar in the apple butter and the rubb from burning? The rubb looks like it's delicious, but I was just wondering that one thing.

Just like in any rub sugar will burn at high temps. If you keep your temps below 250F it shouldn't burn, you'll get a nice bark.

The came out good. The flavor wasn't as intense as I would have liked it. Not sure if it was the rub, the apple butter or not using apple wood for smoke. Either way they got eaten. I might try it again but let them sit over night before smoking. They only sat for an hour or so before cooking this time.

411_DSCI0065_1.jpg

411_DSCI0066_1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom