WSM Ribs w/Clay Pot Base

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smokemaster

Senior Cook
Did my 2nd cook today with the WSM.

Since I have no cooks with water to compare the clay pot base cook with I'll just post the results.

Meat: 2 slabs of St Louis cut spares on rib racks on the top grate and the cut pieces on the bottom grate.

Thermometers: 2 ET-73's under the lid on top and bottom grates.

Fuel: 1 lit chimney of Royal Oak charcoal. 1/2 chimney unlit.
4 cherry wood chunks - dry.

Weather: 65F Overcast, windy.

Original empty water pan foiled and clay pot base foiled inside of water pan.

Cook: Lit the 3/4 chimney full of RO, also had some left over charcoal from previous cook 1/4 chimney. Note: Forget using old charcoal.

1030 - Added lit to charcoal ring and added 1/2 unlit RO. Waited till all were almost gray then added cherry wood and assembled smoker. Ribs on.

1037 - Closed 2 bottom vents. 3rd full open. Lid full open. Top - 256F Bottom 215F.

1100 - Top 261 Bottom 242. Closed bottom vent to 1/2

1130 - T-240, B-228

1215 - T-243, B-230

1315 - T-244, B-231

1345 - T-172, B-186 Opened 2 vents to 100%

1400 - T-226, B-239

1445 - Temps kept dropping, but the ribs were done.

Conclusion:
Next time I'll add more charcoal at the beginning. I'm very satisfied with the clay pot base. The temps were very stable even with the wind. Cleanup was a breeze :D

I would've cooked the ribs a bit longer. A little dry. Maybe a little water in the clay pot base?
They were bite tender, not yet fall of the bone tender. The smoke ring was beautiful.
I won't use leftover charcoal again. If I do I'll add more new.
Remove 2nd charcoal grate. Only use it with lump. Ash didn't drop away.

After 3hrs

Done

Smoke Ring

Leftover charcoal

I LOVE MY WSM! Almost set and forget. Already planning my next cook - Pulled Pork!!

Good looking bones. I like the clay pot idea. I wonder how long it will last? Probably wouldnt work for traveling though.

Wow that is a terrific detailed test cook. Thank you so much.

Bill you could always wrap it in bubble wrap to take to comps. It wouldn't be that much a trouble.

Not to argue with you, but I see by your post that you were cooking spare ribs, and not to argue with you whether they were done or not, BUT, I don't think they were done. Spare ribs usually take me on the WSM anywhere from 6 to 7 hours cooking at 225-240º.

Nice job. Thanks for the photos.

What kind of charcoal did you use?

I made the charcoal grate mod to my WSM and what I see in your photo looks like a lot of ash!

Edit:
Sorry, see now that you used RO. Lump? That really looks like a lot of ash. Did the old charcoal not burn properly?

I smoke ribs about 6 or 7 hours also...they still look good!

Smokemaster...I start the WSM with a load of unlit charcoal then get about 15 lit briquettes and put on top of the unlit with a few chunks of wood. Assemble and let it get to about 190 to 200 and close the vent to about 1/8 inch open and the temperature usually will increase to about 225 to 240. Make a slight adjustment or two and the temperature will usually stay pretty steady. This works great. I learned that technique on this forum Spring 2006.

cleglue said:
I smoke ribs about 6 or 7 hours also...they still look good!

Smokemaster...I start the WSM with a load of unlit charcoal then get about 15 lit briquettes and put on top of the unlit with a few chunks of wood. Assemble and let it get to about 190 to 200 and close the vent to about 1/8 inch open and the temperature usually will increase to about 225 to 240. Make a slight adjustment or two and the temperature will usually stay pretty steady.
This works great. I learned that technique on this forum Spring 2006.

I was gonna post exactly what Craig posted, but he beat me too it! Smokemaster, follow Craigs suggestions next time and it should dramatically help your cook.

Also this has been touched on by Bruce already, but I cook spares for 6 hours as well. If you want a foolproof method try doing a 3-2-1 (3 hrs in the smoke, 2 hours in foil, 1 hour back in the cooker to firm up and sauce) or I like to do 4-1-1. Either way will give you consistent tender moist ribs.

Good luck on your next cook!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom