WSM question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCook

Senior Cook
Are the drippings from the meat on the top grate getting on the meat of the lower grate ever an issue?

When you smoke just one piece of meat, do you use top or bottom grate?

Love2<º((((>< said:
Are the drippings from the meat on the top grate getting on the meat of the lower grate ever an issue?

Not ususally, but you gotta use some common sense. I do a pork butt on top of a brisket and think the pork fat keeps the brisket moist. But don't put a turkey on top of a brisket.

Love2<º((((>< said:

Top. It's easier to tend.

And what's the fish in your avatar?

Griff said:
Love2<º((((>< said:

Not ususally, but you gotta use some common sense. I do a pork butt on top of a brisket and think the pork fat keeps the brisket moist. But don't put a turkey on top of a brisket.

[quote="Love2<º((((><":3kv1iim4]

Top. It's easier to tend.

And what's the fish in your avatar?[/quote:3kv1iim4]

I agree with Griff, partially. Depending on when you put the turkey over the brisket it could or could not be okay. Basically as long as the turkey is completely cooked, anything under it will be okay because if the turkey is done, so are the juices that dripped off of it. Now, if you put a turkey over a brisket and the brisket finished before the turkey, then the brisket is not going to be safe to eat. Bottom line though is like Griff said, use common sense and you'll be okay.

I will put a butt over anything I can cause pork juice makes everything better. [smilie=a_chuckle.gif] Drippings shouldn't be an issue unless like mentioned before everything isn't done around the same time or at least if it's over 164 degrees it's safe. I might cook on eigther rack but if it is from start to finish a single rack cook I'll use the top rack unless I have something really tall? [smilie=a_whyme.gif]

Griff said:
And what's the fish in your avatar?

Those are speckled trout (not related to fresh water trout) caught near San Luis Pass in Galveston, TX wade fishing. Wont find those in AK. I'll send you some trout for fresh salmon? We were in AK last year, boy is that stuff fresh up there and..mmmm mmm good!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom