WSM question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cleglue

Head Chef
I have used my new WSM once. I want to do a butt on Monday for relatives coming to town.

Has anyone ever left it unattended?

Since it keeps the temperature so well I thought I'd start it about 6AM get the meat on by 7AM and leave for work. I thought it would be done or close to done when I get home about 3:45PM. I probably could come back home about 11:30 to check on it.

I don't think I'd recommend that this early. Plus, I don't think it would be ready if you start it that late.

cleglue said:
I have used my new WSM once. I want to do a butt on Monday for relatives coming to town.

Has anyone ever left it unattended?

Since it keeps the temperature so well I thought I'd start it about 6AM get the meat on by 7AM and leave for work. I thought it would be done or close to done when I get home about 3:45PM. I probably could come back home about 11:30 to check on it.

They hold great steady temps and I've left mine unattended for 2-3 hours with no problems, but I'd be scared to leave it all day unless someone was home. Do it over the weekend and reheat it Monday, I like reheated pork better anyways.

Time does sound a little short.
If you got it on earlier and had time to let the temps get good and stabilized you probably would be alright. My only real worry with leaving mine unattended is if a neighborhood kid would happen by and get burnt on it.

Bryan S. does it alot. He'll put stuff on with the Guru and go to work. Q is ready when he returns!

I live in the country but in August we just finished adding a hugh expansion to our house. I guess I need to do it over the weekend so the new house doesn't go up in smoke in case the dog (or cows get out) and knock it our. My wife's Aunt's house just burned down about three weeks ago. They only live about 1/8 mile down the road.

Better safe than sorry

I think each time I do an overnight cook, the longer I leave it alone and not check on it. I do have the WSM away from the house and surrounded by concrete...no way in hell it could burn anything, even if it tipped over. I think 6 hours is the longest left alone.

I couldn't leave it alone during the day, wind/sun combo would really mess with the temps. Eh...my 2 cents.

Helen_Paradise said:
I think each time I do an overnight cook, the longer I leave it alone and not check on it. I do have the WSM away from the house and surrounded by concrete...no way in hell it could burn anything, even if it tipped over. I think 6 hours is the longest left alone.

I couldn't leave it alone during the day, wind/sun combo would really mess with the temps. Eh...my 2 cents.

I'm sure most of us thought the same thing. But from what I've heard Chris Chappelle was cooking ribs on his BGE in his driveway 10ft away from his house and an ember blew out of the cooker and caught his garage on fire, which ended up severely burning his house.

Not trying to put a negative spin on anything, I just don't want to see something like that ever happen to anyone else, especially from this board.

I'm pretty sure NO insurance company is going to pay out if (god forbid) if something bad did happen. To me it's not worth the risk! Suck and seal that thing and reheat it. I found a butt in the freezer from last summer and reheated it in simmering water in the bag and it tasted just like it came off the pit. =P~

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom