WSM Question - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2006, 06:22 PM   #1
Saint O'Que

WSM Question

I have never used a WSM so this is what I have in mind. I'm going to be smoking a brisket tomorrow. I plan on filling the ring full with unlit lump charcoal and mix in a few hickory chunks. Then add about 1/2 weber chimney of lit lump charcoal on top. I plan on keeping the top vent open.

Now where should the 3 bottom vents be set?

Can I set them and leave them or do I need to tweak them?

Does the way I plan on starting the WSM with unlit lump seem ok? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Should I put the brisket on the top rack or the one next to the water pan?

cleglue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 06:34 PM   #2

In the chimney start with about 15 briquits, not 1/2 chimney. Top vent fully open the entire cook. Bottoms open 100% until temps hit 190*, then start closing them down. Probably close them down to 50% each. It is easier to control the temps on the way up than trying to bring the heat down. Once you get your WSM settled in at your cooking temp. you will probably start to think something is wrong because you raelly won't have to do much, it's pretty much set it and forget it. I try to cook as much as I can on the top grate, it is easier to get to the food there. Your choice fat up or fat down, thats a whole conversation in itself. I usually cook fat side down but thats just me. Now, the most important part is to take many pictures and post them here for all to see! Good luck with the cook.

Old 04-16-2006, 06:54 PM   #3

I agree whole heartedly. Without the pics, you are destined to screw up big time.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:06 PM   #4
BBQ Central Pro

Re: WSM Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleglue
I have never used a WSM so this is what I have in mind. I'm going to be smoking a brisket tomorrow. I plan on filling the ring full with unlit lump charcoal and mix in a few hickory chunks. Then add about 1/2 weber chimney of lit lump charcoal on top. I plan on keeping the top vent open.
Your right to keep the top 100% open at all times while cooking.

Quote:
Now where should the 3 bottom vents be set?
100% open at first.

Quote:
Can I set them and leave them or do I need to tweak them?
You will almost certainly have to adjust the vents. Watch the temps and the rate of increase and be advised it takes a while to see the results of vent changes. If the temp slowly climbing (good), try shutting the vents down to 2/3 open about 20 degrees below your target temp and close them further to half open when you reach your deisred pit temp for a starting point. If it's climbing really fast more drastic vent adjustments may be called for.

It's common for WSMs to run with vents 1/4 - 1/2 open in the 225 - 250 range. So you'll find what works for you and get a feel for it with some practice.

Quote:
Does the way I plan on starting the WSM with unlit lump seem ok? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sounds ok to me. Spend a little time packing the unlit lump in the ring. Doesn't have to be perfect just try to minimize big gaps.

Some lump lights easier than others ... I think starting with half a lit chimney sounds ok, a good starting point ... keep in mind conditions and the amount of meat in the cooker affect the amount you will want to start with ... 1/2 rack of baby backs on a warm calm day won't require as much lit to reach your desired pit temp as 32lbs of pork butt on a windy cold day.

Quote:
Should I put the brisket on the top rack or the one next to the water pan?
If you're only cooking one item use the top rack.

Good luck and have fun.
Shawn White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 09:49 PM   #5

I did a brisket last night on my wsm. I did it just as you want to. Top vent always open . 2 vents closed completely and last one open a sliver the thickness of a quarter. Held a temp between 225-227 the whole night. Brisket came ot awesome. AFter brisket was done i put on ribs

http://img81.imageshack.us/slideshow...192270xph.smil
Old 04-17-2006, 01:49 AM   #6
Official BBQ Central Mark

mine runs about the same..top wide open, 2 bottom ones closed, 1 bottom one open around a quarter..ho;ds that 235 area..I think its magic...
john pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 05:14 AM   #7

I do mine the way Nick discribed.

"Of all the imaginary friends I've had, I don't think there was one that I didn't end up having to kill."

in seach of Umami
Finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 06:48 AM   #8
Saint O'Que

I got the WSM loaded this morning starting at 5AM. At 5:55 I loaded the smoker. The temp. was at 214. The brisket was another unusual one from the Muslim slaughter house. I removed the point from the flat. This brisket flat is very thin. Usually a brisket takes 10 to 12 hours on my offset so I'm not sure on this one since it is so thin. Anyway it also had a very very thin area of meat I removed. I placed the point and the very very thin pieces on the lower grate and the flat on the upper grate. I used worcestershire sauce and rubbed the brisket with texasbbqrub brisket version. I loaded the smoker with two different types of lump (trying to finish off an open bag and used four chunks of hickory. The temperature has ranged from 214, 234, 242, and 228. So far so good. The only thing I'm not sure of is because the brisket is so thin the brisket temp. is at 165 and it has only been on for two hours. I'll probably move the thermometer and put it in a different part of the brisket later. It is now 8:00AM Eastern Time. Here are some pictures.

cleglue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 06:53 AM   #9

Muslim slaughter house?!?!?
Old 04-17-2006, 06:55 AM   #10

I'm not a butcher and I'm certainly not a Muslim, not that there's anything wrong with that, but if I were you, I might consider finding another source for my brisket. Just a suggestion.

Rubbed, Smoked, and Sauced Competition BBQ Team-
22 1/2" WSM, 2 18 1/2" WSM's, 22 1/2" Weber Kettle
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote