WSM overnighter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill The Grill Guy

Master Chef
Well, I had a guy at work order 2 butts for next weekend. I figured that I would give the WSM a run for an overnight cook. Of course they are calling for sleet and snow overnight so I am a little nurvous.

Got the 2 butts injected with a WRB injection sauce and rubbed with WRB. Figure I will crank up the WSM around 8pm and have them on by 9. Should be able to get the temp set for a good nights sleep tonight by 10pm.

This is the first time I have done an overnighter. I dont have a fancy maverick to alert me of any drastic temp changes. So, I figure that I may be getting up a couple of times during the night.

Any suggestions besides "Get a Maverick"?

john pen said:
Dont worry...

My maverick is on the fritz, so I do a 4 hour check just for piece of mind....
Maybe you can treat yourself on Vac..and those short arms can reach into those deep pockets and you can buy one :D

I'm not discounting anything anyone is saying about a windbreak, but I don't think they're really necessary. At least I've never needed one for either WSM regardless of the wind or weather. But that's just me, I'm not trying to start a debate about windbreaks, I just don't want people to think they can't cook without one on a cold windy night. Same thing for the insulated jackets.

Larry Wolfe said:
I'm not discounting anything anyone is saying about a windbreak, but I don't think they're really necessary. At least I've never needed one for either WSM regardless of the wind or weather. But that's just me, I'm not trying to start a debate about windbreaks, I just don't want people to think they can't cook without one on a cold windy night. Same thing for the insulated jackets.

Pot Stirrer :roll:

Im with Larry.(wow, did I say that out loud ???) ...lol

I did my last cook in 4 degree temp with wind..no wind block or shelter..I had to keep the vents open more than usual and used a bit more charcoal, but had no problems holding a perfect temp ! Im sure had I used the other methods (wind break, blanket ) It would have been a more effeciant cook, but it can be done comfortably without...

Keep up posted. You don't have to have a maverick. Lowes has one for twenty bucks made by Taylor. Bed, Bath and Beyond has an ET-72 for about 30-40 bucks.

john pen said:
Im with Larry.(wow, did I say that out loud ???) ...lol

I did my last cook in 4 degree temp with wind..no wind block or shelter..I had to keep the vents open more than usual and used a bit more charcoal, but had no problems holding a perfect temp ! Im sure had I used the other methods (wind break, blanket ) It would have been a more effeciant cook, but it can be done comfortably without...
Yeah but your WSM was right next to the house..and which direction was the wind coming from :idea:

The front of my house faces west...the WSM is on the deck is out back. We get 20-30 mph winds all the time ( across the lake and right up the mountain ). Enough to get 4 ft drifts of snow in front of the garage.

I've noticed uneven burning of the coal bed when the wind constantly hits it from one side. So a redistribution of coals is necessary. A windbreak would probably help with that...but again, I'm using the winds we get here as a base.

i used the wind break here with good results...though I dont always have to. The corner my WSM is on get only the strongest gusts, so its all or none. about the time you get adjusted for the gusts, it completely dies and the fire starves...but after saturday....its a new patio to try it on :D

I've used mine through the rements of a huricane a couple of years ago with no wind break. Yeah it burns a little more coal but thats about it!

Back
Top Bottom