WSM Overnight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oak

Senior Cook
I just got my new 18. 5" WSM and smoked a butt on Saturday with Wicked Good Charcoal briquettes. I smoked during the day, but would like to learn how to set it up overnight. I checked the Weber Silver Bullet website, and there was not a lot of information on overnight setups. Can anyone offer any suggestions on running the WSM overnight.

Thank you in advance.

Oak

There is no real difference. If you have a remote thermometer like a Maverick then you have everything you need.

I will admit that an automated blower system like a guru, digi q or stoker would be a very nice addition.

The hardest part is letting the wsm take control of the cook and trusting the thermometer to wake you up when the temps fluctuate.

Pretty much what Cliff said.

( For what its worth) I recently did a cook with the new Kingsford Comp coals and it was cold out...they didnt make it through the night I got lucky and saved it but.......
Use regular Kingsford and you'll be fine. Fill half a chimney full and pour em over the top of the 3/4 full ring in the bottom, put back together and put the meat on.
just my $.02

I keep hoping someone will mention how to set the bottom vents.

Mine is still brand new out of the box.

I don't want to make any mistakes.

I know, Guess it depends on what I'd be cooking.

How much can you close them and still keep it going?

Yep... too scared to try.

mar52 said:
I keep hoping someone will mention how to set the bottom vents.

How much can you close them and still keep it going?

Yep... too scared to try.

All vents open until pit temp is up to around 200. Close bottom vents by 1/2. Put the meat on while the temps are well below target.

As the wsm reaches the 240-250 range close the bottom vents to 1/4. You will have to adjust from there to fine tune the temps thay you want it to run at. How much meat you have on will influence how fast these temps are aquired.

Depending on how tight your wsm is, you may have to run with the vents just barely cracked.

Always leave the top vents open. I have on occasion closed the top by 1/4 to adjust for spikes.

FANTASTIC!

Thank you so much. That gives me a base from which to start.

Once I do, I'll take some pictures.

Thanks again!!!

Do not start out on your first cook overnite! Do a couple during the day to establish a baseline and some confidence. I have had mine since Christmas, and have not done an overniter yet! I kinda like watching the thing!

Woodman said:
Do not start out on your first cook overnite! Do a couple during the day to establish a baseline and some confidence. I have had mine since Christmas, and have not done an overniter yet! I kinda like watching the thing!

Hey Woodman, I agree, however I think with the WSM its pretty much a Gimme isnt it? (notice "pretty much" not 100%) I've had really good luck with mine.

ps - I like to watch mine too - its just safer & adds an element to drinkin a cold beer! ;)

Woodman said:
Woodman is a big player on TVWB

Don't worry about me doing an overnighter. I live in a condo and I can hear the fire department now.

Waiting for my remote thermometer, eyelets and a full day off to give it a try.

Guess I also have to buy some meat.

Thanks again to everyone!

dollarbill said:
Woodman said:

Hey Woodman, I agree, however I think with the WSM its pretty much a Gimme isnt it? (notice "pretty much" not 100%) I've had really good luck with mine.

ps - I like to watch mine too - its just safer & adds an element to drinkin a cold beer! ;)

Don't forget the cigars!!!

Back
Top Bottom