wsm in the cold

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
3-dogs BBQ is from North Pole, Alaska. Here I was complaining that the high here today was only 63. LOL. Cant complain too much after seeing those pics

I see that he made an extension cord so he could put the control box of his Stoker inside. At -40, I wouldn't go outside to check cooking temps, either. Then again, at -40 I wouldn't have gone outside to set up the WSM. To quote a high school buddy, that's so cold you'd have to run backwards to p!$$.

Or climb a tree to... :mrgreen:

Course nobody ever listens to me but all you got to do for cold weather cooking on them R2D2 type gizmos is knock the bottom out of a 55 gallon barrell and set it over the top. Few bricks around the bottom to hold it a few inches up off the ground or tundra or whutever. Now the first time I said to leave the air hole on top open and the product hole closed..but doubled checked with the Aggie who invented this system and he now say to leave both holes open (so that be one minor correction). You fill it up with water..kingsford..wood chunks and meat then shut down the intakes and exhaust to a minimum about bedtime and come back out tomorrow about noonish and it will have turned into bbq on the inside. He also say to drill a few small holes along the top edge of the barrell so it dont collect water or melted snow or whutever and make the top of the barrell get rusty over time. Also needs a couple of handles screwed into the barrell about 3/4 way up the sides cuz it be hot to the touch when you move the barrell to get to the groceries. Sure would be nice for some smart inhabitant of the wastelands of the vast frozen North to try it like that an repoat back with the results. I am beginning to wonder if they got any smart folks which lives up there. Kindly let me know. Thanks.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom