WSM, I just got mine !!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

friesian_rain

Senior Cook
Ok, I know someone else just posted that they got their new WSM..........BUT..... I just got mine, yay !
It's the smaller 18 1/2 " but when I saw it in person it looked bigger than I thought; I'm thinking if I love this one I'll get the 22 " one later.

No stores here (Juneau) sold the WSM, and the quotes for shipping were $125 to over $200! So while I was in WA I bought one and will bring it home on the plane.... hahaha I really wanted this grill !

I'm so excited... I'm trying to decide what to smoke first to break it in. I've gotten a lot of tips for the WSM from this site.... and I'll take any more :D

Thanks for letting me share !

Congratulations!!! You'll find that the 18.5" is going to work out just fine. It's really an easy smoker to work with and it does a fine job for low and slow cooking as well as cooking at a higher temperature (300 to 350 range, although you may have to crack the dome with a chop stick like I do to get up to the 350 temp.)

I've also smoked beef jerky in my WSM and have been able to keep the temperatures below 165 during the smoke. It's all in the amount of charcoal you use, how you start it and getting used to using the vents. Going to try some sausage in it next week.

Looking forward to your first posts.

Smokey Lew said:
Congratulations!!! You'll find that the 18.5" is going to work out just fine. It's really an easy smoker to work with and it does a fine job for low and slow cooking as well as cooking at a higher temperature (300 to 350 range, although you may have to crack the dome with a chop stick like I do to get up to the 350 temp.)

Ok, so a little more air to bring the temps up? And Jerky, that will be great!
I can't wait to break this WSM in, this is going to be so much fun !
And I got a new camera, so maybe my pictures will be a bit better......

friesian_rain said:
[quote="Smokey Lew":229bn0lw]Congratulations!!! You'll find that the 18.5" is going to work out just fine. It's really an easy smoker to work with and it does a fine job for low and slow cooking as well as cooking at a higher temperature (300 to 350 range, although you may have to crack the dome with a chop stick like I do to get up to the 350 temp.)

Ok, so a little more air to bring the temps up? And Jerky, that will be great!
I can't wait to break this WSM in, this is going to be so much fun !
And I got a new camera, so maybe my pictures will be a bit better......[/quote:229bn0lw]
Also, you'll need to get some lump charcoal like Royal Oak and mesquite to use as fuel. Lump charcoal burns at a higher temperature. I usually use a layer of Stubb's briquets on the bottom of the rack and then top it with the lump for cooks. Depending on how much air you let in, you can cook with one load for up to 8 hours. But that's for the 22.5" WSM, which I have.

If I'm going to smoke jerky or sausage, I will only use one layer of Stubb's briquets and just start a couple briquets going. You don't want to open the side door or dome once you got it to temperature. If you do, the coals will get to much air and your temperatures will rise to much.

It is fun breaking in a new one. I have one of each and really like my 18.5 better then the 22.5. Maybe a couple of butt for your first cook, they are pretty forgiving and good to freeze. Enjoy your first cook FR!

Butts are def a great choice for a first cook. Aside from tasty as bbquzz said they are very forgiving. Congrats and can't wait for some pics!

Karen

You are going to love your WSM. I suspect thatJuneau is a lot like Anchorage in that lump is hard to find. Kingsford works just fine. I always watch the Memorial Day sales and load up.

Griff said:
Karen

You are going to love your WSM. I suspect thatJuneau is a lot like Anchorage in that lump is hard to find. Kingsford works just fine. I always watch the Memorial Day sales and load up.

Lump is very hard to find, I usually buy it all up when I find it; and of course, it's never on sale :(

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom