WSM first use and a spike in temp mid cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kloset BBQR

Executive Chef
Cruising,

Start my closing all the bottom vents 100%. You'll get plenty of air through the top vents and the side door. Temperature spikes were probably due to the coals getting that big whiff of air when you removed the dome. With the bottom vents closed, it will quickly return to 225 even after you remove the dome. As the cook progresses especially on brisket cooks, you'll need to start opening the bottom vents very slowly but only after you notice a drop in temps.

You should get steady 225 temps that way. It'll also cook a little more consistently after that first break in cook. Sounds like your on your way. Good technique on the ribs.

Just expirement a little bit with it. Try closing the top vents slightly, I wouldn't go more than half way, you want the smoke to go out through the top. You might see some going through the door as well, which is not air tight by any means.

Your 7lb brisket will probably take you between 7-11 hours. Try and get the temperatures a little lower for the brisket. I'd shoot for no higher than 225 if possible.

Let us know how the ribs came out. Were they spare's or loin back ribs?

I'm a little late here but try taking the top grate out and set it on the table. This will help cut down on the big wiff of air to the coals. Also, if the temps want to stay up higher, close the top down a bit...it doesn't usually take very long for the temps to start to drop back down when you do that.

Glad the ribs turned out good! Now, get to work on that brisket...is it a whole packer or just a flat?

Sounds like a great cook Crusing. That spike you mentioned was from the air going in with the top off. When ever I take my top off, I remove the grates like Greg said and put the top back on. Do what ever needed to get done (foiling) then put it all back together again. Sounds like more work than it really is. Now ya got me thinking, I'm doing BB tomorrow! Thanks!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom