WSM collects water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rag1

Executive Chef
When my WSM (22) is cool, I slip the tailored Weber cover over it.
Weeks later when opened, the fire pan (lowest section) has several inches of water in it; every time.
The cover seems water proof, but is it really? What do you guys use to keep it dry and prevent a bottom pan rust-out.

Mine did that. If you really want to keep the water out get yourself some huge heavy duty garden trash bags and put one on. I trimmed mine so it didn't rest on the ground. For a esthetics put your cover back on over the bag. That kept the water out of mine. They are porcelain so don't worry too much about em getting wet.

Another trick is to turn the middle section upside down when you aren't using it. That way the bottom of the lid is on the outside of the middle section, and the bottom (actually the top) of the middle section is on the outside of the base. If the cover leaks (the seams are not waterproof), the water will run all the way down the outside of the WSM, instead of running inside at the lid/middle section junction.

Tri Tip said:
You can keep em in the attic too! :LOL:
Wouldn't that ickey water pan attract bugs and maybe even rats up there in that attic? That's assuming the water pan was used as a water pan to collect all the grease and stuff.

BOB

No WSM here but on my Brinkmann R2D2 I put the grates on top of the base then add the middle section and put the water pan upside down on top of the grate holding brackets. Lid goes on next upside down..then the 55 gal barrel gets dunked down over the top of all. Got a chum who has been cooking on the same ECB for 30 years using the system.

Upside down, move the family, the attic, barrels, etc. .....my head's spinning.
I'm surprised nobody suggested drilling a hole in the bottom, or (drum roll) giving it to them.
Cooking more often than it rains .... that's cute, Nick.
Happy New Year.

Back
Top Bottom