WSM 22

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rag1

Executive Chef
Got my WSM yesterday and put it together.
Going to do a beer can chicken it it today for a break-in cook.
Thinking of cooking a beef roast this weekend.

Looks strange next to the Meadow Creek.

Rag said:
Got my WSM yesterday and put it together.
Going to do a beer can chicken it it today for a break-in cook.
Thinking of cooking a beef roast this weekend.

Looks strange next to the Meadow Creek.

Someone may say the same thing about you! :LOL:

Okay, the deed is done. The chicken turned out very tender and moist. Cooked it for 3 hours, and it could have gone longer. Maverick probe was not in the best place to guide me.
Amazingly the cooker temp is still right on the mark at 5 hours after the start, just like everybody claims. That was one of the reasons I bought it.
The baste is from this month's Chili magazine. It's mainly butter, fresh thyme, garlic, lemon zest & juice, etc. They used in on a turkey.
*****strange my ass, Cliff ****** LOL

Nice start on that thing!

I also cooked chicken the first time I used mine. Along with some ribs. Here are a couple of pics.

img_204054_0_be838bf279f5c9b28c38bd71a72668fc.jpg

img_204054_1_a0edba9aaf36bb357fd5811608899580.jpg

img_204054_2_a766aaefa6bd54e87cace2e2247e08de.jpg

img_204054_3_a4af9a27d825c3fef773c50a7df7377d.jpg

Have fun playing with another toy! :D

Nice cook Rag :D
You folks are makin' it
awfully temptin' to break
down & get me a Weber :LOL:

8)

I am considering getting one myself. Anyone know the maximum it will hold on ribs, and on briskets? I do some catering and like the idea of not having to mess with it in the middle of the night.

Big Ron said:
I am considering getting one myself. Anyone know the maximum it will hold on ribs, and on briskets? I do some catering and like the idea of not having to mess with it in the middle of the night.

The long cook time was the reason I picked up the WSM. The charcoal load in the pics is about 3/4 full with the center hollowed out. The hollow was filled with 3/4 full chimney lit.
The top vent open 100%, and the bottom 3 were full open till the temp hit 220*, then closed all 3 to 25% open. The temp held well around 240* to 260* for 5 hours. I was hoping for longer, but with a full load and started with less lit coals I might get an all-nigher at 240*. I think an empty water pan uses less fuel providing for a longer cook.
Somebody on here, I'm sure, knows all this stuff.

Maybe I should have sand in it now. I started a cook an hour and a half ago with a full ring of cc and the center with lit coals. Shut bottom vents to 1 closed, 2 @ 25% when temp hit 220*. An hour later the temp was at 305*. I closed the 2 vents even more and now reads 295*. I think the poor fitting door allows too much draft.
I left the water pan empty as a test for a looooooong cook.

Wittdog, doesn't the sand get gooed up with grease and $hit and make a mess?

You can wrap foil over the sand. Then when done just fold up the foil and toss or if there are good juices use them. If some of the sand gets messed up you can scrap the bad stuff and toss.

Rag,
I usually have to shut down all the bottom vents down to 5% open once it hits 200...wait 20-30 and see where it's happy...and go from there. Small adjustments...wait...etc

gooose53 said:
You can wrap foil over the sand. Then when done just fold up the foil and toss or if there are good juices use them. If some of the sand gets messed up you can scrap the bad stuff and toss.
That's key right there. I put 4-5 layers of HD foil when I cover my sand pan. When done, remove one or two layers, and you're ready for the next cook.

Same here. I usually rune one bottom vent at 5-10% and the other two closed for a long cook in the 225-235* range. One vent has been frozen totally shut with gunk for the last year, and I have never bothered to screw with getting it open .

Back
Top Bottom