Wrapping Brisket in Paper? - Page 2 - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2007, 03:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jminion
Cooking in paper bags has been a technique used for a long time, it was started by cooks using all wood for fuel (without preburn) because the meat was being over smoked.

The foil thing was called the Texas crutch for a reason and was done for the same reason as cooking in paperbags. They found you can speed up the cook using foil and now you see cooks doing 6 hour briskets.

Jim
Its nice that our elder members have been around long enough to fill us in on what it was like when fire was invented
Seriously thanks Jim this stuff is new to alot of us young pups.

I get more sauced then my Ribs

My Bark is as good as my Bite!

Swine so fine it's Criminal

Never trust a skinny cook!!!!!!!!
wittdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 05:11 PM   #12
Graduate of BBQ Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flytyer
Foil or paper, wrapped brisket is wrapped brisket. No problem from my standpoint either way. Might as well choose the easiest cheapest method if that's how you do it.
Cooking in paperbag does not speed up cook or effect the bark like foil does. As with anything while cooking you can have good effects but there also effects that you must account for.

Witt
Please let's not talk age, Wed is the big Six OH. LOL

Jim

Old 10-13-2007, 05:12 PM   #13

Oh man..talk about hitting a nerve
Happy Birthday Jim...

I get more sauced then my Ribs

My Bark is as good as my Bite!

Swine so fine it's Criminal

Never trust a skinny cook!!!!!!!!
wittdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 07:47 PM   #14
Wizard of Que

They do fish in a bag here at a few resaurants. They put the veggies in there too. Steams them at the same time.
Happy BDay Jim!
Old 10-13-2007, 11:03 PM   #15
Official BBQ Central Mark

Wonder if the bag will work on a wsm without catching fire ? :scratch
Old 10-14-2007, 08:27 PM   #16
Smoker

Quote:
Most recipes for smoked meats require them to be wrapped in aluminum foil at some point during the cooking. This recipe calls for red butcher paper, which Bruce Schatte says is the secret to the moistness and flavor of his brisket - a cut of meat that is notoriously difficult to tenderize. (Light colored paper doesn't work as well, he says, because it reflects the heat off the meat.) "Foil seals the steam inside and boils the brisket, and it's like mush," says Bruce. "The paper breathes, and it doesn't trap all the hot steam and oil. It helps you not ruin a $25 to $30 piece of meat."
Sorry, but this is nonsense.

First: No, '[m]ost recipes for smoke meats' do not 'require' foil. Many people use it--but most require it? Hardly.

Second: If he's ruining meat because of foil he doesn't know how to use it.

Third: The meat steams in paper--that's the point. It is a classic technique (-- en papillote) and does precisely that.

Fourth: An understanding of simple cooking physics clearly shows that the color of the paper being an issue belies reality. The color is immaterial because the meat is cooked at high temps for some time before wrapping. Much of the heat at the outset of wrapping comes from inside the wrapping. That's the point as well. The composition of the paper is germane, not the color.

Lastly, this: '...again fat side up (This will allow the juice from the fat to spread throughout the rest of the meat)...' is bullshit. 'Juice from the fat'? On what planet?

Cooking in paper is a viable approach. It's been around a long tome One can overcook in paper just like one can overcook in foil. (It is, perhaps, marginally easier to screw up with foil but if you know what you're doing you can avoid this no problem.)

By all means give it a shot if you wish. Use any appropriate paper you wish--white parchment, brown parchment, white butcher, red butcher, brown butcher--no matter--so long as it's not waxed.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:47 PM   #17
Official BBQ Central Mark

I've done plenty of turkeys in grocery store bags (although I keep hearing you're not supposed to use them because of recycle content) and hey always come out great. And.... I ain't dead yet.

"Of all the imaginary friends I've had, I don't think there was one that I didn't end up having to kill."

in seach of Umami
Finney is offline   Reply With Quote