Wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbquzz

Master Chef
Most of the recipes I see suggest apple, cherry or woods other than hickory and mesquite. The problem is I can find hickory or mesquite locally, but have to mail order the others. I'm in central Ohio. Any suggestions where I might be able to find the other woods within driving distance 100 mi. so I can buy a quantity and not pay a huge freight bill?

Oak is the best for most all purposes. Surely they allow Oak Trees up there in Ohiya:)

bigwheel

There is a 500 acre apple orchard listed in your town. I think I would look there first for my apple wood. You might get all you want if you will come and pick it up.

I took a quick look at Craigslist for Columbus and Zanesville and found hardwood firewood in both places. Also, check your local paper for firewood. I've used mostly red oak for years and it works great. You can surely find plenty of oak or hickory from the firewood sellers and apple from the orchard mentioned above.

bbcuzzz, where are you from Port Clinton,Ohio? There is a place that is set up with any kind of wood you like on RT.153,just before the EastHarbor turn.
He's open everyday during summer and I will see if he is still open .
Although , being in Ohio, you should be able to score lots of Hickory. Ask some friends if they have or know someone that has some and Barter for it. I will be gettind a load in a short and can trade for something when it cures in the spring.
I also know a gentleman in Toledo that sells bulk wood of all the local varieties,Cherry,Oak, Hick.,Apple,etc. and does so at a reasonable price.
E-mail me for info.
have fun and,
SMOKE HAPPY :)-
Stan aka Old School ;}-

Back
Top Bottom