Wolfe Rub Injected Turkey (A first)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
I never really thought about using Wolfe Rub on a turkey. But after a couple PM's with Cliff and a couple trips out to visit my dad I had some time to think........................"how in the hell could I come up with something using WR"??? Honestly, I thought this would be as totally opposite as you could get. But after my first trial, I'm pretty happy thus far. It's about as simple as it gets, but pleasantly tasty! I think I got really lucky because it turned out so so good and moist.

2 cups apple juice
1/2 cup Wolfe Rub Original
1 stick of butter
1 Tablespoon of Honey

Combine all ingredients, bring to a slow simmer until every thing is melted. Cool, then inject thoroughly into turkey and smoke as normal.

Nice Larry...don't forget, tanksgivin is just about 2 weeks away, don't get yourself tired of the bird too quick

Man's Best Friend BBQ said:
Nice Larry...don't forget, tanksgivin is just about 2 weeks away, don't get yourself tired of the bird too quick

I won't............ but I've gotta tell ya. This new invention is something good! My daughter said this is the best turkey you've ever made. Which made me feel great. Then my wife said my brined bird is better. Now I'm confused as to what to cook for Thanksgiving?????? I like both, but if I had my choice, I really think I'd choose the injected bird. I like the apple/sweetness flavor!!

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Man's Best Friend BBQ":2waofswy]Nice Larry...don't forget, tanksgivin is just about 2 weeks away, don't get yourself tired of the bird too quick

I won't............ but I've gotta tell ya. This new invention is something good! My daughter said this is the best turkey you've ever made. Which made me feel great. Then my wife said my brined bird is better. Now I'm confused as to what to cook for Thanksgiving?????? I like both, but if I had my choice, I really think I'd choose the injected bird. I like the apple/sweetness flavor!![/quote:2waofswy]

psht, what does the wife know anyway.... :LOL:

That bird looked great bud!
I have a turkey breast in the freezer. Now I know what to inject into it ;)

Thanks guys! I was kinda skeptical about this, but it turned out far far better than I could have imagined. FWIW, I injected the full 2+ cups of liquid into the turkey. The recipe could be halved for a breast or even chicken. I'm thinking this would also be a great injection for pork as well.

Cliff H. said:
I am guessing that the bird was not enhanced. Right ?

I am having trouble finding on that is not pumped.

Cliff this particular turkey was fresh, but I don't really see a problem using an enhanced bird with the injection.

Larry what temps did you smoke that bird at ? with or without the pan ? I've been doing something similar with butts, just without the honey and its worked great.

cflatt said:
Larry what temps did you smoke that bird at ? with or without the pan ? I've been doing something similar with butts, just without the honey and its worked great.

Curtis, I cooked it in the 240*-260* range. The honey was a last second ingredient and I'm glad added it. I'm looking forward to using it on pork very soon.

So did you use a pan or not? I'm curious because we're planning to smoke either a turkey or just a breast for Thanksgiving. I want to inject because I just wasn't really pleased with how the brined chicken I made turned out. I think injection would distribute the flavors throughout the meat better.

allie said:
So did you use a pan or not? I'm curious because we're planning to smoke either a turkey or just a breast for Thanksgiving. I want to inject because I just wasn't really pleased with how the brined chicken I made turned out. I think injection would distribute the flavors throughout the meat better.

Yes I used a pan w/sand.

Why not try to delevop a brine with the injection flavors.....or just make a bigger batch...One could almost look at injection like a "quick" brine....?

That is a nice looking bird. I am going to have to try a whole one one day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom