Wolfe Rub

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I went to make the sauce, didn't have any honey! :-X :-X

Anyway, made 4 types ~ All with Wolfe Rub, 2 batches were deep fried and 2 were baked. 1 of each had Rev Marvins Hot and 1 of each had Bone Suckin' Original. My wife and I sampled all of them and both of us liked the sweeter Bone Suckin' better. Couldn't decide on the baked or fried. I'll tell you though, the fried wings were very dark because of the sugar in the rub and it did a number on the oil :eek: I have some pics but they're still in the camera and right now I have to get my kids up and ready for school..Will post them later.

This wasn't a fair test since we didn't have any honey for the Rev Marvin's sauce mix but I will try it again. I won't deep fry them next time though... 8-[

The Joker said:
When I went to make the sauce, didn't have any honey! :-X :-X

Anyway, made 4 types ~ All with Wolfe Rub, 2 batches were deep fried and 2 were baked. 1 of each had Rev Marvins Hot and 1 of each had Bone Suckin' Original. My wife and I sampled all of them and both of us liked the sweeter Bone Suckin' better. Couldn't decide on the baked or fried. I'll tell you though, the fried wings were very dark because of the sugar in the rub and it did a number on the oil :eek: I have some pics but they're still in the camera and right now I have to get my kids up and ready for school..Will post them later.

This wasn't a fair test since we didn't have any honey for the Rev Marvin's sauce mix but I will try it again. I won't deep fry them next time though... 8-[

Wish I would have seen this last night Bill. I would not recommend frying with Wolfe Rub due to the sugar. I would have fried the wings naked, then liberally seasoned the wings w/Wolfe Rub while they were still hot. The heat from the hot chicken wings would have then melted the sugar and created a glaze for the wings.

I've grilled wings and chicken parts seasoned with Wolfe Rub and then basted with 2 parts Reverend Marvins Hot and 1 part Honey and they turned out fantastic. I did it again this weekend with chicken legs. Wolfe Rub and Reverend Marvins Gourmet BBQ sauce go very well together.

Bill by the way, if you are short of honey again you can substitute honey with some brown sugar. I've had good success with that combination as well.

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="The Joker":1sl28utx]When I went to make the sauce, didn't have any honey! :-X :-X

Wish I would have seen this last night Bill. I would not recommend frying with Wolfe Rub due to the sugar. I would have fried the wings naked, then liberally seasoned the wings w/Wolfe Rub while they were still hot. The heat from the hot chicken wings would have then melted the sugar and created a glaze for the wings.

I've grilled wings and chicken parts seasoned with Wolfe Rub and then basted with 2 parts Reverend Marvins Hot and 1 part Honey and they turned out fantastic. I did it again this weekend with chicken legs. Wolfe Rub and Reverend Marvins Gourmet BBQ sauce go very well together.

Bill by the way, if you are short of honey again you can substitute honey with some brown sugar. I've had good success with that combination as well.[/quote:1sl28utx]
Well, it was late.. :!: I wish I had thought of applying after frying..Sounds like a plan! :( And I'll remember that about the brown sugar. We have honey ~ I thought we had brought everything from the kitchen at the other house but apparently not. #-o

Thanks Larry. :(

hey Joker, if I'm grilling I use the hot Rev's cause cooking really makes the heat milder.

I fry my wings, then coat with the regular Rev marvins...it's hot enough
if you don't cook it.

Well, here are the pics. Again, all had Wolfe Rub on them. The lower right were deep fried and have Rev Marvin Hot sauce on them..Lower left were fried and have Bone Suckin' Original..Upper left are baked and sauced with Rev Marvin Hot..Upper right are baked and sauced with Bone Suckin' Original.

Bill those don't look bad at all! I was expecting them to be totally charred! The fun part will be getting the burnt sugar off of the fryer basket! 8-[

Larry Wolfe said:
Bill those don't look bad at all! I was expecting them to be totally charred! The fun part will be getting the burnt sugar off of the fryer basket! 8-[
I've got everything cleaned up except for the baking sheet and the basket...The baking sheet is soaking right now, then comes the basket and the deep fryer. #-o

LOL! They weren't charred, just dark, and there was alot more than in these pics...AND, they all got eaten!! Sorry folks. :( BTW, 90 minute soaking in hot water with dish soap and everything pretty much rinced clean. That oil was history though..

The Joker said:
LOL! They weren't charred, just dark, and there was alot more than in these pics...AND, they all got eaten!! Sorry folks. :( BTW, 90 minute soaking in hot water with dish soap and everything pretty much rinced clean. That oil was history though..

Yeah the oil looked done! Glad everything came clean!

Back
Top Bottom