Wolfe Bird

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
Well, I've cooked a lot of enhanced birds and I've brined and cooked a lot of fresh birds, but I've never brined and enahanced bird.....until this Thanksgiving.

I could not find any fresh birds, period. So I got a 3% Enhanced Shadybrook Farm 13lb turkey. Brined it in my Turkey Brine for right around 15 hours. Then smoked over Royal Oak Lump and apple chunks around 250º until the breast hit 160º. Turned out pretty darn good, but not as good as a fresh brined bird. But I would certainly brine a 3% bird again.

img_205571_0_3bc33fac4c4aa98e8f130a3c937e9489.jpg

ScottyDaQ said:
The dark meat went fast!

Isn't it funny how typically people don't eat the dark meat? Dark meat on a brined smoked bird is fantastic! Seems to really pick up the flavors better!

Cliff H. said:
The skin on that bird looks like it came out of the oven. Very nice Larry.

Yeah, I like what the apple wood and lump do.....doesn't make it too dark, I like that!

Larry how do you keep the wings from getting burned? I've only done 3 birds, but each looked like the wing tips were burned. Both the birds you have posted recently are golden colored, no darker parts.

bbquzz said:
Larry how do you keep the wings from getting burned? I've only done 3 birds, but each looked like the wing tips were burned. Both the birds you have posted recently are golden colored, no darker parts.

What temp are you cooking your turkeys? I cook them in the 245º-260º range.

Larry Wolfe said:
bbquzz said:

What temp are you cooking your turkeys? I cook them in the 245º-260º range.

Sounds like maybe I should have been down closer to 225. I was at 300 - 305 pretty consistently for 4.5 hours on this bird. I pulled it when the breast was at 165 and the thigh at 180. Here is how it turned out. (My previous birds I did closer to 250 - 275 with similar results). I'm using a 18.5 WSM and this was a 16 lb. free range bird, traditional brine (Patio Daddio) and rubbed with a small amount of canola oil. Other than appearance it was the best I've ever tasted, if I do say so myself:)

Thanks for following up Larry, I appreciate it. I enjoy all of your posts, WOLFEPIT and of course Wolfe Rub.

Back
Top Bottom