Wildgame Cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jack W.

Sous Chef
IMHO game is very lean. The better meats for low and slow are the more marbled cuts. However, it can be done. I do Bambique on the smoker but I lard the heck out of it. I cover the meat with bacon and let it go. The last backstrap I did had the consistency and flavor of liver. No liver for me thank you. Hams and shoulders seem to produce a descent sammy.

Good Q!

Jack

That gamey liver taste in deer or any game is usually because it wasnt processed correctly or the meat has started to spoil. I learned this the hard way in my years of hunting. When you taste a hint of liver, the meat has started to spoil before being frozen. That is why I dont hunt deer until it is fairly cold because the meat needs to age 4-5 days "hang in a barn or meat locker" to have a better product.
When I go dove hunting, I see guys placing their birds in the back of their hunting vests for hours before iceing them down. Liver breast everytime and I cant hardly eat them like that.

I do hind quarters with whole garlic cloves stuffed throughout and rubbed generously with kosher salt and fresh coarse black pepper and lots of EVOO. Baste with EVOO every 30 minutes and cook at 300* until your desired doneness. Let rest for 15-20, slice away. Mmmmmmm.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom