Wicked ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wittdog

Master Chef
We have beautifully weather here today….and Buford has been busy….I feed him some of Uncle Al’s Wicked Good Rubbed Ribs…and I also have on a few fatties some chicken and some hotdogs for lunch…

Almost done

I like the color I’m getting with Unlce Al’s rub and the little piece I snatched was wickedly good…
No finished pics of the dogs and chicken..they didn't stick around long enough...

Dang Dave, dem is sum PURTY ribs you gots dare. Hows bouts stickin one of dem in a curdboard box ans send em to Gordonsvburg?

Puff said:
Looks great Dog!
The "Wicked" rubs and sauce are awesome :D

I really appreciate the compliments.I am slowly working out labels, containers, and co-packers etc. Hopefully I will be able to offer these "Wicked Good" products to everyone interested real soon.

My guess is about two to three weeks. Maybe, I think. We'll see.

Then I can do some shameless hawking like Larry ;) :LOL:

Al

Meat side down when you cooking the ribs young man..meat side down. With the bones on top it forms a perfect concave moisture collector which will slowly dribble down to keep the meat basted and moist. Same eggxact laws of physics which says to cook barnyard avians breastes side down.

bigwheel

wittdog said:
We have beautifully weather here today….and Buford has been busy….I feed him some of Uncle Al’s Wicked Good Rubbed Ribs…and I also have on a few fatties some chicken and some hotdogs for lunch…

Uncle Al said:
Puff said:
Looks great Dog!
The "Wicked" rubs and sauce are awesome :D

I really appreciate the compliments.I am slowly working out labels, containers, and co-packers etc. Hopefully I will be able to offer these "Wicked Good" products to everyone interested real soon.

My guess is about two to three weeks. Maybe, I think. We'll see.

Then I can do some shameless hawking like Larry ;) :LOL:

Al
Can't wait Al :D
Looks like "someone" else might start "hawking" their wares here pretty soon :shock: ;)

bigwheel said:
Meat side down when you cooking the ribs young man..meat side down. With the bones on top it forms a perfect concave moisture collector which will slowly dribble down to keep the meat basted and moist. Same eggxact laws of physics which says to cook barnyard avians breastes side down.

bigwheel

wittdog said:

I do ribs meat side down for the first few hours for this very reason. The thin layer of fat renders down adding flavor.

BW and oct97...I'll have to give it a shot meat side down some time....don't know how well it will do with my pit...

I am with Brian on this one being like the brisket thing, I will add this
there is no way that fat melts on any piece of meat and penetrates into the meat. It only renders and comes out. The longer you cook it the drier it gets. You could boil a hunk of meat in oil and it won't penetrate, its called deep fat frying.

I have cooked lots of ribs and don't recall a layer of fat on the bones. Can someone draw me a picture of the fat that collects in the curve of the bones and then somehow dribbles somewhere and adds flavor to the ribs.

I don't want to start a "fat up or down war" here, I just want an explanation.

Al

Past few years I been doing mne meat side down the whole time and havent found any drawbacks with it. Now to glaze you can flip em back over of course.

bigwheel

Uncle Al said:
I am with Brian on this one being like the brisket thing, I will add this
there is no way that fat melts on any piece of meat and penetrates into the meat. It only renders and comes out. The longer you cook it the drier it gets. You could boil a hunk of meat in oil and it won't penetrate, its called deep fat frying.

I have cooked lots of ribs and don't recall a layer of fat on the bones. Can someone draw me a picture of the fat that collects in the curve of the bones and then somehow dribbles somewhere and adds flavor to the ribs.

I don't want to start a "fat up or down war" here, I just want an explanation.

Al

Here's my view, right or wrong, it's just the way I see it and believe how it happens.

A piece of meat is not a solid compound. It is strands of muscles that are connected by tissue and fat. When meat of any kind is cooked, especially at low temperatures, the internal and external fat melt in between the strands of muscles. Thus, "penetrating" in between the strands of muscle as the internal fat renders and the connective tissue breaks down. I believe cooking a brisket fat side up does indeed baste the outside of the roast as well as internally.

In BigWheels defense, there is a nominal amount of fat on the underside of the ribs. The "liquid" he's referring to is probably both rendered fat as well as condensation in his cooker. Both of which I agree would be beneficial to the ribs.

Just my .02.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom