Wicked Good Sunday with Uncle Al

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puff1

Chef Extraordinaire
Today I'm trying Uncle Als rub's and sauce.
On a 4lb chuck I'm using Al's "Extra". Out of the bag it was very sweet, then the "extra" hit with a strong zing of heat that stayed on the tounge for a while. I thought this might work well on a chuck.
For the regular Al's I'm using it on loin backs that I picked up at Sam's.
The regular rub tasted very sweet also, with a slight bit of heat.
Irubbed the ribs with mustard but I only had enough rub for two racks(I didn't know there was 3 in the vac pac :shock:) . On the 3rd rack I used one of my alltime favorites Wolfe Rub Original.
I tried a taste of the sauce, it had a strong taste of mollasses with some heat. Al told me different variations to use with the sauce, I'm not sure if I'll try them I might just keep it the way it is to get the full effect.
I'm using a little Mesquite with the chuck and I'll switch over to hickory when the ribs go on.
I also marinated some venison chops Ihad left in the freezer (soy sauce, wosty, garlic powder, black pepper, and onion salt) for a little snack.

Looks so good now I'd eat it raw....I'm hoping Ucle Al hasn't forgotten about me.... :D Looking good Puff...Smoke On

Brian in Maine said:
Looks really good Puff!! I'm cooking Italian today, but you've got me Jonesin for BBQ. What are you cooking on? Brian
Char Griller :D

Venison chops are off. First time smoking venison, it stayed very moist, spritzed with AJ a few times. Ribs are foiled, and the (yes I'll take forever)chuck is at 140.

Did three racks of baby backs myself today. They're out of the foil and glazed with some sauce mixed with apple juice concentrate. They are for customers, so I can't have any, but I'm sure they'll be good.

Al

Looking good Puff!! Al's rub and sauce combo, is definitely a combo that's hard to beat!!! Good stuff!!

Wow, those deer chops do look good. How long were they in the smoke? Am I correct in assuming around 240* degrees? You the deerslayer?

Griff

Well guys, to this day it always amazes me the way flavors blend on that smoker! Al your goods made one damn fine tasting rib!
That is what a rib should taste like in my book. Nice bark, and a little bite!
Still waiting on chuckie...foiled and at 195. Can't wait to try it.

Griff said:
Wow, those deer chops do look good. How long were they in the smoke? Am I correct in assuming around 240* degrees? You the deerslayer?

Griff
In the smoke about 2 hrs at 250.
Yes Griff I've enjoyed taking a deer or two :D
Our opening day for gun is Nov. 15, I have to work but were leaving Fri. morning for the great white North (of Mi.)
It's been 4 yrs. since I've gone due to work and family obligations.
But I am ready to put some Venison in the freezer!!
If I don't I hope for a few beers, a roaring campfire, and maybe a glimpse of those Northern lights. If that's all that happens, that's fine with me :D

Chuck hit 200 in the foil. I brought it in the house to rest and the aroma was awesome. A taste test reveled a strong sweet taste, not anything I expected. A tiny bit of heat, I expected more heat wise. But definatly tasty.
I'll see what I can create with the sauce I have left for Monday dinner.

Al I would just like to extend my thanks for letting me try and enjoy your rubs and sauce.
I look forward to using it again in the future ;)
I forgot to add earlier this was a bone in chuck. Kind of nice to see the bone fall out of this tough son of a bitch :D

That's some damn fine looking bones there Puffman.

Good luck hunting, whereabouts you going?

Back
Top Bottom