Whole Hog Turn In Box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jack W.

Sous Chef
Our Moderator extrodinare Captain Morgan is very interested in the elusive turn in box. To that end I am posting the turn in box from the Whole Hog event this past weekend. This box won absolutely nothing. I would like comments and suggestions as to how to make it more attractive to the average judge. I know there was a texture issue, we have already beaten that horse.

http://www.ephotohut.net/view_links.cfm ... 215917.JPG

http://www.ephotohut.net/view_links.cfm ... 220026.JPG

No garnish allowed. The Q was very good. It has not failed to place top 5 for the last 2 years running. As a side note we never have done well at this event, we do it for the kids.

Thanks in advance.

Good Q!

Jack

Indeed ! That looked awesome !
I got's ta take me a judging class sometime so I know what to look for.... But I don't need a class to tell me that I would soooooo chow down on the pig!

Looks like some fine swine to me there Jack. I kind of like the idea of no garnish. I lost a contest because of poor appearance scores. Second place sucks when every thing else is in order.

well I'm the last person to give you advice (Raine should be here soon to give another certified judge opinion) but I'd like a few smaller pieces near the top to show a little more variety. The bark shows well, the chunks seem a little big to me....I'm think some judges would like big chunks, so would find smaller pieces more attractive, so why not put both near the top? The judges eyes are gonna go right where they want to go.

Just some thoughts.

Looking at that makes me want to start judging though! My buddy in Columbia is going to take Lake's seminar in June. (?)

Raine is KCBS certified. KCBS doesn't do whole hog.KCBS also requires a garnish in the turn in box also.I think the garnish plays a huge part in KCBS contests.

I was kind of hoping that the discussion might turn to the process that those who compete go through to select the meat for turn in. So here goes the question.

For those of you that compete, how do you set up your whole hog box? I have followed a process, but I would like to know how one approaches building the whole hog box.

Good Q!

Jack

As this site grows, we'll get more competitors and judges involved.
Right now, you probably know more about this than most people on this board. Which is why we're glad you're here.

Captain Morgan said:
well I'm the last person to give you advice (Raine should be here soon to give another certified judge opinion) but I'd like a few smaller pieces near the top to show a little more variety. The bark shows well, the chunks seem a little big to me....I'm think some judges would like big chunks, so would find smaller pieces more attractive, so why not put both near the top? The judges eyes are gonna go right where they want to go.

Just some thoughts.

Looking at that makes me want to start judging though! My buddy in Columbia is going to take Lake's seminar in June. (?)

You may be the best person to give advice. The idea behind the larger pieces is to give the box an inviting and contrasting appearance. The judge can also pick up a piece of meat and handel it. Tear it apart, to check tenderness, texture, and get a true taste of the meat with sauce on it, not necessarily the meat impregnated with sauce. There is a large portion of classic pulled pork impregnated with sauce under the chunks. There is also some chopped ham and a little(very little) sliced loin under there as well. You may be right. A little bit of the smaller chunks on top may not hurt.

I'm having almost as much fun judging as I am cooking. You get to eat when you judge, not say "Man I don't even want to look at that thing anymore". You get to look at and taste every sample entered into the contest if you want. I have probably tasted every piece of pork worth a damn in the whole state by now. Except those that beat me this weekend. I'm sure I'll get around to those before the year is over. :)

Captain Morgan said:
As this site grows, we'll get more competitors and judges involved.
Right now, you probably know more about this than most people on this board. Which is why we're glad you're here.

You flatter me but Jim Minion has forgotten more about BBQ and Competion Q than I can hope to learn.

Thanks for the Q!

Jack

Jack
I have cooked MIM once and have cooked a couple whole hogs in KCBS competitions. You must decide what sections you want to turn-in and hope you don't leave out something a judge wants to see.

I will normally turn-in, loin, some bacon, butt (dark muscle only), and rib meat. I leave ham out unless it is great. Is there any cuts you have to turn-in under the rules you are cooking?
Jim

There were different parts included in the box. They were IMHO easily identifiable. Why the entry didn't do well is not really the point. Your imput to an appearance score as well as how you approach building boxes is most appreciated. Thanks for looking.

How's the refit comming along? Opening soon?

Good Q!

Jack

Raine said:
They didn't help you much by giving you a 3-compartment box.

Was this a SCBA event?

The biggest hold up is just waiting on the cooker (takes them 6 weeks to build it). In the next week or two we need to move the can wash outside.

We will talk with the OH folks on Thursday for a status of when the cooker should be finished, and if they will be delivering it or if we go to pick it up.

No, not a SCBA event. There were plenty of SCBA judges there.

Planning on Greenwood?

Jack

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom