Whole Hog Pics from LudiChris

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Here are a few whole hog pics from LudiChris:

Guest of Honor... Back From the Butcher

Ready For the Pit... Fun With Piggy

Porker In and On... Git-R-Done

Getting the Slice... My Ugly Mug and My Lovely Wife

**EDIT** Corrected the "Porker In and On" picture

Awwwwwwwwww that poor pig, I just don't know what to say...........How could you guys take pic's of before and after. That is just appauling to me.....................What time's dinner?????????

Bill: Thanks for uploading the pictures for me. I'll have to buy the wings at the Anchor. (any time you want to go) That porker fed about a hundred people.Yea, I felt real bad about the poor piggy, As I jammed a Sammy in my pie hole! The other one was cut up for the deep freezer. The one we did for the cook walked right up the plank into the truck like he was going to the fair.It was only at the butcher after unloading him he went nuts.Must be the other hogs told him he was there to take the "Big sleep" I gave him a couple of dough nuts for his last meal.The neighbors are some of my best customers. Every one eats for free the 4th of July.Including the whole damn Police dept, And Fire dept. there good guys and it's a small town.Nice to have those folk on your side if you need them.

Hey Ludi, that pic of the head and the parts split a part...is that how you serve? Or do you just remove all the meat and served as pulled pork?

It's how ever the customer wants it. If it's a good ole pig pickin party It gets done longer. If they want it sliced not so long.Most of the time it's a little of both just due to the fact that most folk have not a clue what pulled pork is.Most don't want the head, That's fine by me I'll eat the jowl and cheek meat.(that's the best part of the hog aside from the skin) I personally like the pig pickin parties. Yank the pig off the pit and let the customer and guests have at it. With the customer going first with who ever fallows.Other times I have to cut it up with a pan of pulled, a pan of sliced, a pan of ribs, Exc. Sauce is ALWAYS served on the side.

ugly1.jpg

ugly2.jpg

ugly3.jpg

ugly4.jpg

ugly16.jpg

ugly18.jpg

My buddy did this last year. I helped. Everybody in Carolina's know's
how they like they're pig. Some like a traditional picking, since he was serving a mixed crowd of Southerner's and yankees, he pulled it all, chopped and served in the skin.

This one was a little dry, but there weren't none left. Funny how when folks eat your cooking, they always swear it's the best they ever had!

The bald headed guy is my friend...we're doing it again at the end of April. he's in Columbia, and I'll ride up to help him. Which pretty much consists of me offering advice, like "let's measure the temp of the pig"
which he will ignore. The pig in the pics above was very lean, he didn't adjust, and it came out dry. His first pig was great.

Minion taught me a method I now use (and Big Ugly says he will too now that he tasted mine last fall) that keeps the ribs from drying out, and no flipping, which can result in a pig that falls apart!

Wow, I see you guys hacked off the head and neck. That aint a whole hog cook :( What did you guys do with it? Please tell me you didn't throw it away. That makes some fine sausage.

I don't make sausage, although I have cooked head on.. love the jowls.
Again, I assisted my friends cook in those pictures. He calls a long time butcher-friend and tell's em he wants a whole hog. They will chop off the head unless you specify otherwise. The hog comes cleaned with the backbone split. His pig cooker has a built in flipper so that much is easy. That one came out dry because of an apparent problem with his regulator.

His first one was perfect.

I use a style taught to me by Jim Minion, and he learned it from competitors like the Pig Pounda Kappa folks, Gray Kerse (I believe that is how he spells it) also one of the top hog cooks in the country. A Georgia boy that cooks MIM a lot, Lilly and Jack's Old South use same tecniques. Jacks Old South does pretty good, even if he is a bit surly.

I actually grew up in Charlotte....our church had several acres of wooded land, and our homecoming every October featured a whole hog.
We stayed up all night with 2 big oil drums of burning oak dropping coals through an iron grate. These were shoveled under the pig, which was suspended on wire fencing 2 feet above the coals. Our pit was a U-shaped row of cylinder blocks. That's where I first learned q.

Being born in eastern North Carolina and having lived all over the state,
I am proud to support my heritage....whole hog or shoulders cooked over wood coals. That stance (with varying meats) meets the definition supplied by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

In your introductory post, you refused to give me advice on how to achieve crisp pig skin. Perhaps it was because you were unable to give me that information based on your experience with wood pits only, or perhaps you're an asshole. When I bought my pit, I had several decisions to make. Around 22 percent of pre-tax income goes to child support for a child I adopted. I don't regret any of it, but I can't afford to
buy a Klose or similar model. I chose gas for financial reasons, mainly for the profit margin of the little bit of catering I do.

However, no where in my response to your post did I claim to make bbq. That requires smoke. I and my friend, (who uses a gas pit that has been in his family for years), use what we have. Which is why (as stated in your introductory post) I modified my pit to add smoke. Last fall we went whole hog (head on) to film a pilot for a possible series for the Outdoor Living Network (still in the works). My modifications filled the neighborhood with the smell of hickory...and the meat was wonderfully smoked. Most there said it was the best pig they ever had. Sorry no pictures of that cook, only videotape which is being edited.

To answer your question above, I don't want to get into grinding meats at this point. I've eaten hog's head cheese, but I don't want to make it.

I'm glad you're here, and hope someday you'll explain your technique for perfect skin. Perhaps it's not possible on my grill, but I'd like to know anyway. Someday I hope to have a real pit. But for now, I'll continue to learn with what I have.

And I'm ok with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom