Whole Hog Experts...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gentleman I confess, I know absolutley nothing about cooking a whole hog over an open fire on a spit. :) I defer to Pigs, thats who I would ask.

Good Luck

Jack

Greg Rempe said:
Ok, I just talked to my bro in law...he is checking with the owner of the spit to see how high off the ground it sets when it's up...then we can use the 24" of coals measurement and see where we need to have it in the 36" range, right? Does he want lump coal or Kingsford? Also, does he want to have wood in there too...a mix if you will or just coals?

Also, the price is $2/ lb dressed for a 120lb hog with the HEAD ON! :eek:

10-4 on the hose by the fire...I think he has a hose plumbed out by the fire pit anyways...will deliver more details as the arrive! Thanks for the input so far!! :!:
Greg: I use lump. wood or wood chunks in the coals will not benefit the cooking process. If any thing they will hinder it by laying there and smoldering till they start to burn a open flame is something you don't want. How ever burning wood to coals in a burn barrel is another story. About 5 hours into the cook the pig will start to render fat. watch closely to see how the fire will react. You should see a small flame emit fallowed by the music of a sizzle the flame should disappear quickly. As the cooking continues use your rake to move grease soaked coals toward the out side of the fire. This will help reduce the chances of a huge flair up and help put some of that good smell back into the pig. Make sure there is always some one attending the pit. Soon as you go to get rid of that last beer you had something bad will happen.Watch the pig on the spit also, It will shrink as time goes by, adjust hold downs exc. Also make sure there are at least 2 good pairs of HEAVY gloves on hand at all times and know where they are. Having a pig fall into the fire at 4:00 AM is no time to be running around looking for gloves. Watch out for dogs also. Every damn one of them that are loose in a 2 mile area will show up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom