Whole Hog, baby! - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2005, 02:06 PM   #1

Whole Hog, baby!

My favorite way to bbq. Just made plans to help a friend in Columbia for his 3rd annual pig picking. Last year I actually learned a new technique from Minion that I think he learned from Lilly, who is probably considered one of the top 3 whole hoggers in the land.

Anyway, I'd like to hear any methods you guys use....I never stop with a fabulous product....always more than willing to screw it up by trying something new!

Old 02-17-2005, 02:45 PM   #2
Official BBQ Central Mark

Has he got a big cooker, or are you guys digging a hole?
Got a pig turner?

The great debate:
Start skin side up or skin side down?

Damn brother... make me a skin sandwich.

"Of all the imaginary friends I've had, I don't think there was one that I didn't end up having to kill."

in seach of Umami
Finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 02:50 PM   #3
Smoker

I've done them on homemade spits (manually turned, every 20 min or so) over a deep open pit (using burned-down-to-embers oak and hickory logs), stuffed with herbs and apples (for flavoring the loin and tenderloin, really) and basted with an apple juice/cider vinegar/herb baste (made in a 5 gal bucket; 4-inch paintbrush tied on to an 8-foot pole). 18 hours. Very, very tasty. Deeper pit than normally dug so a much deeper layer of coals than usual; spits higher than usual since the fire is SO hot.

And I've done them in homemade above-the-ground cement block closed pits, splayed flat, marinated in homemade mojo or a grapefruit/garlic/herb mix, indirect heat with Kingsford or lump (no smokewood if doing them with Cuban friends, fruitwood, usually citrus, otherwise). 5-9 hours depending on the pig. Delicious.

I'm not into injecting though I know many are.

I'd like to try a Caja China.

What's your plan?
Old 02-17-2005, 03:12 PM   #4
BBQ Centralite

I'm gonna give some sucklings a chance in the new pit, but can't go "whole hog" ha ha ha ha ha ha!
Old 02-17-2005, 04:08 PM   #5

He has a big cooker (he borrows) with a built in flipper. First pig he did was great, second was dry enough to be jerky. Wouldn't listen to me in either case. I'm just there for the beer and to listen to his massive ego.

He did attend a pig I did last summer that I used a skin side down technique the whole cook. He loved it and says he'll do it that way this year.

My pit doesn't have a flipper, so I was glad to learn the new technique. Flipped one pig that was way too tender and it fell apart. Quite the mess.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:10 PM   #6
Graduate of BBQ Central

Capt
That technique I learned from the Pig Pounda Kappa folks, Gray Kerse (I believe that is how he spells it) also one of the top hog cooks in the country. A Goergia boy that cooks MIM a lot, Lilly and Jack's Old South use same tecniques different recipes.
Jim
Old 02-17-2005, 04:13 PM   #7
Official BBQ Central Mark

Well is someone going to say what the damn technique is? Or is it a secret?

"Of all the imaginary friends I've had, I don't think there was one that I didn't end up having to kill."

in seach of Umami
Finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 04:14 PM   #8

Gray or Gary Kearse sounds like a guy I'd like to hang with, same with Lilly. Saw Lilly on tv and he seems cool.

Jack's Old South is a different story. And I've heard the stories, believe me. Still, got to respect success.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:39 PM   #9
Smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan
My pit doesn't have a flipper, so I was glad to learn the new technique. Flipped one pig that was way too tender and it fell apart. Quite the mess.
What do you have for a pit?

In a closed pit I do skin down for half the time then skin up till done, then skin down to crisp the skin.

To contain the pig and make flipping easier, I use aluminum chain link for the pig--like this:
Old 02-17-2005, 05:50 PM   #10

Kevin, I used chicken wire, but on that particular occasion, didn't have any. The plan was to cook meat side down for a while, then finish skin side up. However, when I went to flip, the pig was way more done than I expected.

I reckon this has to do with pigs being so much leaner than they use to be. Fortunately, it was just a cook with friends, and while it was messy on the grill, the end product was still good.