Whole Hog, baby!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Niagara River Smoker said:
...barrier to block the smoke. That's the biggest issue (with me) with the La Caja China..

Me too, though I like Glenn's idea. As of this morning I'm leaning back toward re-building my CBS pit. I was talking to my neighbors down the road--they're Cuban but have only been there sine last summer so I've never done a pig with them there. We discussed maybe re-building my pit on their property and doing joint cooks. I like the idea, though I'd really want to see if I could get them into smoked pig. I've used smokewood in a CBS pit before, putting it just in the 2 coal piles on one end and exhausting it on the other. Works okay but I'd really like a solid mod.

Susan and I discussed the Caja on another board. I said I didn't consider it bbq because there was no smoke. Not to say it wasn't good, in fact the concept seems excellent. Just a small pit that keeps most of the space full of meat. Seems like it would create lots of steam in what I assume is an airtight container. Now, if this smoke mod works, I might be interested in.

I think she also said it uses a butt load of charcoal.

How is the skin? Soft, crispy, leathery tough?

Captain Morgan said:
I think she also said it uses a butt load of charcoal.
Yeah, I remember her saying that but I also remember she bought like a hundered bags of Kingsford ! She ain't hurtin! :-D

The only other thing that bothered me about that pit was that the meat cooks in it's rendered fat...Susan, what did you think about that after your cook?

Kevin, you got me on the CBS pit..... :? I'm thinking back about the damage you mentioned after the hurricanes blew through but I just can't put my finger on it.....

Damn! You been cookin' girl! :shock: Thanks for additional info. I'm gonna look into it.. 8)

Bill--

The pit is (or would've been) fine through the hurricanes. Needing block to help me firm up a few things, I disassembled much of it. The blocks helped the chicken and turkey houses (lost a couple chickens and ducks but no turkeys), but didn't help the roof on the horse's pole barn. I really should have done something different there--was a last minute attempt. The blocks are still all there, I have the sheet aluminum, and the aluminum chain link pig cage. Just haven't put it together. They're easy to do; at first I didn't want to take the time, then I was thinking of moving it to a location 20 yds away, then I was thinking of the Caja, now I'm thinking the neighbors---you get the idea. I bought cork flooring for the master bedroom--in November. I got the closet done--that's it--this past Friday. Prioritizing when I'm gone so much is a bitch. I would stop driving tomorrow if I could immediately replace the $.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom