Whole hog - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-31-2007, 09:21 AM   #1
Graduate of BBQ Central


 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: pa
Posts: 680
Whole hog

I have been requested by a neighbor to do a whole hog in the beging of august. Before I comit to doing and give them a price it I was hoping to clear up a few questions I had. I have a 48x24 sized somker so I was figuring that I could get a 50 pound pig one there. Does that sound about right? Also around how many people whould a 50-60 pound hog feed? If I was cooking it around 250 on an offset smoker about how long whould take. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Chris
__________________

__________________
"Excuse me, do you know if these gloves are good for killing a man?"-- Dale Gribble
chris1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:53 AM   #2
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Myrtle Beach
Posts: 14,162
How Big of Pig Do You Need?
Approximate Percentages of Loss due to slaughter, cook, bone, fat
On the Hoof/ Hanging weight / Meat /Will feed (approx.) @1/4 lb pp

20.00 13.00 5.85 23.40
30.00 19.50 8.78 35.10
40.00 26.00 11.70 46.80
50.00 32.50 14.63 58.50
60.00 39.00 17.55 70.20
70.00 45.50 20.48 81.90
80.00 52.00 23.40 93.60
90.00 58.50 26.33 105.30
100.00 65.00 29.25 117.00
110.00 71.50 32.18 128.70
120.00 78.00 35.10 140.40
130.00 84.50 38.03 152.10
140.00 91.00 40.95 163.80
150.00 97.50 43.88 175.50
160.00 104.00 46.80 187.20
170.00 110.50 49.73 198.90


*Actual percentages may (and probably will) vary. This is to be used as a guideline.
__________________

__________________
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:57 AM   #3
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Myrtle Beach
Posts: 14,162
sorry that's hard to read..

also, if the pig is too big, saw the legs off as much as you need to.
You gonna buttefly this thing, or just pop him on there?
__________________
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:59 AM   #4
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Myrtle Beach
Posts: 14,162
I'd listen to the whole hog podcast with Chris (Pigs on the Wing) too.
Right off the bat, I'd say a 60 pounder is gonna be close to 8 hours.
But I'm no expert here.
__________________
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 10:08 AM   #5
Graduate of BBQ Central


 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: pa
Posts: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan
sorry that's hard to read..

also, if the pig is too big, saw the legs off as much as you need to.
You gonna buttefly this thing, or just pop him on there?
Cappy I am not really sure what I how I am going to do it yet. I have seen alot of people do it buttflied hog so may be that is the way Ill do it. Is one way better than the other?

Chris
__________________
"Excuse me, do you know if these gloves are good for killing a man?"-- Dale Gribble
chris1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 10:16 AM   #6
BBQ Central Pro


 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N. Charleston, SC
Posts: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan
How Big of Pig Do You Need?
Approximate Percentages of Loss due to slaughter, cook, bone, fat
On the Hoof/ Hanging weight / Meat /Will feed (approx.) @1/4 lb pp

20.00 13.00 5.85 23.40
30.00 19.50 8.78 35.10
40.00 26.00 11.70 46.80
50.00 32.50 14.63 58.50
60.00 39.00 17.55 70.20
70.00 45.50 20.48 81.90
80.00 52.00 23.40 93.60
90.00 58.50 26.33 105.30
100.00 65.00 29.25 117.00
110.00 71.50 32.18 128.70
120.00 78.00 35.10 140.40
130.00 84.50 38.03 152.10
140.00 91.00 40.95 163.80
150.00 97.50 43.88 175.50
160.00 104.00 46.80 187.20
170.00 110.50 49.73 198.90


*Actual percentages may (and probably will) vary. This is to be used as a guideline.
Whew Cappy. With all of that I'm glad I know a 100 pound hog will feed 50 - 75 people depending on the style of sides and presentation.

If you need more pork, do one hog for the show and boston butts to supplement the meat supply. You get a much easier cook and better yield.

As a rule, I get $300 plus the cost of the hog to do a cook. That's just for the hog. I quote a price for sides on a seperate sheet. It's going to take you most of a day to cook the animal. With shopping, preperation, and presentation I look at the job taking at least 20 hours. I never leave a hog for business unattended. If something were to happen, I would never be able to replace what I have gauranteed in a doable time frame.


The whole hog podcast is a good tool. Chris did a nice job.

Good Luck and Good Q!

Jack
__________________
If you are going to have a Barbecue, something has to die.
- Ted Nugent.
Jack W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 04:57 PM   #7
Pope O'Que
 
Smokey_Joe's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: North Central Massachusetts
Posts: 2,378
Re: Whole hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1237
I have been requested by a neighbor to do a whole hog in the beging of august. Before I comit to doing and give them a price it I was hoping to clear up a few questions I had. I have a 48x24 sized somker so I was figuring that I could get a 50 pound pig one there. Does that sound about right? Also around how many people whould a 50-60 pound hog feed? If I was cooking it around 250 on an offset smoker about how long whould take. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Chris
Chris, I don't know if any of my info will help you.... but the last hog I did was 186 lbs. cash & carry from the local slaughter house. The 186 lb. hog fed 76 people with one aluminum pan of leftover meat.
There were about 60 adults and 16 kids ranging from 3-12 years old. There also was chicken halves and tons of sides and deserts and beer....not many of the chickens got eaten, so I'd say it was mostly a pork meal.

I can measure my cooker if you'd like but I had to cut off the head and the legs at the knees to fit it in the rotisserie cage I have.

Do you plan on splaying it, rotisserie, halving it etc...?????

Click this...>>> http://www.bbq-4-u.com/viewtopic.php?t=5643 <<< it will take you to my post on here back in July of 06' with pics of my cooker, the pig and the size pan of meat left over.

Feel free to PM me with any particular questions that you think I may be of use on.

SJ
__________________
JFOA

The weather is here.... wish you were beautiful

Imagine my disappointment if i were here to make you happy
Smokey_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 06:43 PM   #8
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Pigs On The Wing BBQ's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Akron New York
Posts: 6,922
http://www.bbq-4-u.com/viewtopic.php?t= ... c&start=15 Was the last one I did. I do mine on a rotis. around 275-300 over direct coals I think you may be disapointed in the yield from a 50 pounder, best to have some butts done for back up. I think wittdog did a small one on his off-set, he may fill you in on the yield a little better. I have a hundred pound min. on whole hog, that's about good for 50-60 people. (adults)
__________________
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that,
you've got it made. -Groucho Marx (1890-1977)
www.oinktoberfest.com
Team Gruber Mister BBQ
KCBS Citified Judge 8282
Tomorrow is just your future yesterday
Pigs On The Wing BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:03 PM   #9
Graduate of BBQ Central


 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: pa
Posts: 680
Thanks for the help guys. The plan is to do it one my gator budget mobile. Which is an offset smoker. So I will not be able to do it rotisserie style.

Thanks
Chris
__________________
"Excuse me, do you know if these gloves are good for killing a man?"-- Dale Gribble
chris1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:37 PM   #10
Pork Butt
 
SoEzzy's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SLC
Posts: 178
Here is Captain Morgans pig weight info set out as a table. Click the picture to get the full sized image.


__________________

__________________
"There's no such thing as a little garlic" A. Baer


http://www.soezzy.com/

KCBS certified barbecue judge.
SoEzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.